Gibson Brands Forums

1961 ES 125 TDC

Johnny Dee

I recently acquired a 1961 Gibson ES-125 TDC with the original Gibson case. As near as I can tell it is original except for the nut. It is quite light in color (white) and if it is bone it is very new. It has only minor blemishes, light fret wear and no checking in the nitro finish. The case smells a little musty but it's very faint and has not transferred in any way to the guitar. I haven't changed the strings yet but they are old and will have to go. I haven't taken pictures yet but will soon so I can post them. The screws in the P90s have been raised quite a bit but I will turn them back down to stock. The guitar sounds amazing for it's age and the pots and switches are still clear and function as they should. What I would like to hear about it how best to care for this guitar. I intend to play it on a regular basis (I had an ES-125T when I was eleven and have never been able to match the tone) but I also want to preserve it as best I can. Any feedback will be appreciated.