Gibson Brands Forums

B45-12N ... 1963 or 1967

wulfpak74

As you know, that serial number could apparently be either year. The characteristics changed fairly constantly during the mid/late 1960s, as well, and aren't necessarily definitive

Based on the rectangular adj bridge and trap tail, my guess would be 67 rather than 63, but I have nothing definitive to base that on.

Several folks here have B 45-12s of various years, and may be better informed.

I had an ES 335-12 from 1968, which ironically shared some of the basic structural issues as their 12-string acoustic cousins.

Yours looks to be in lovely condition.

A lot of people tune these down a half step or a full step, then capo up to standard pitch if they want to play with others.

I owned a '63 B45-12N and it had the trapeze tailpiece.  Right off the bat the pointed edges on split diamond says 1967.  The headstock doodad on a  1963 will have rounded edges.  Another way to tell whether it is a '63 or a '67 is to look at the X brace.  If there are sister braces  running alongside the legs of the lower part of the  X  it is a '67.  Somewhere I have a bracing diagram of a post-1964 B45-12 which I will try and dig up.

Edited by zombywoof