Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 finish

Plad

I have just bought a 2005 Heritage Cherry Sunburst J-45. I have not seen this finish on a J-45 before' date=' anyone know if many were made?[/quote']

Wow, that sounds pretty interesting. Any chance of seeing pics of that guitar? I don't know the answer to the question, however...:-(

Well, actually I haven't received it yet, its currently held up in customs, bought it on Ebay, the picture may be a bit unaccurate, but it is definitely way lighter than current models, so I am pretty sure. I will replace the teardrop pickguard with a batwing one (pure vanity I know!) and post a picture as soon as I get it. Tomorrow I hope, but not holding my breath! On the lookout for a King of Queens-like type in shorts fighting his way through the snow in my driveway with a big box!

Well this one is a new one, 2005, and it is very different from the old cherry sunbursts which are more red in colour. This one seems to be like the current Hummingbird on Gibson's site. Quite like what on Les Pauls is called honeyburst.

Well this one is a new one' date=' 2005, and it is very different from the old cherry sunbursts which are more red in colour. This one seems to be like the current Hummingbird on Gibson's site. Quite like what on Les Pauls is called honeyburst.[/quote']

Oh, yeah, I've seen a photo of one. A bit like the Hummingbird Artist maybe? I believe someone one this very forum has one of those. Maybe they'll chime in. Sounds like a nice guitar!

I bought one from a forum member, it's a 2005 as well. No custom shop decal on the back, just J-45 HCS on the inside label. Just a standard J-45 with the heritage cherry sunburst. The previous owner put a western pickguard and vintage klusons on it. Obviously I like the look or I wouldn't have bought it.

Here's the previous owners other post:

http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=3821

These pic's make it look much redder than it really is.

Headstock%20Front.jpg

Body.jpg

This seems to be it! Scary, 'cause not only have I bought a batwing pickguard (Terrapin), but also a set of identical tuners! Well, Powerpopper, this saves me the job of uploading a picture.

You're probably going to love it, post a review when you get it.

The previous owner also put an elephant ivory saddle in as well. They're softer than bone, so I would still like to try a bone or fossilized walrus saddle from Colosi. I'm probably going to change out the plastic pins for some plain Ivory ones too. Too nice of a guitar for plastic end pins.

Tracked the guitar down, could have picked it up myself today, but too busy at work, probably on my door tomorrow.

Pins: must admit that this discussion reminds me a bit of when I was cycling, and spent big bucks on titanium nuts and bolts to save half an ounce though I myself were at least 30 lbs overweight! Are you guys sure you can hear a real difference? It's kind of hard to accurately hold on to a sound in your head for the time it takes to slacken the strings, swap pins and retune.

But back to the original question in this thread: how rare is this finish on a J-45? Can one contact Gibson, in that case how?

Anyway, this is my first thread on this forum, thanks for making me feel welcome, I like it here!

J-45 in da house! At last! Removed the strings after a few cords, saw that they were Daddarios, wich I don't usually like. Changed tuners, removed the pickguard (a breeze, took a few minutes including cleanup) and stringed it with Elixirs, wich I usually prefer. Sounded fantastic, BUT strangely I liked it even better with the Daddarios (go figure!) The batwing is still hovering over the Atlantic, expected to land any day. At the risk of confusing threads: those of you who have upgraded saddles, would you say that the difference is more, equal or less than the difference between, say, one make of strings and another?

I like Elixirs as well. I also like to tune down a half step, so i tried mediums and they were ok. I just put lights back on, and I honestly don't hear much difference, but it's sure slinkier to play, so I think I'll stick with lights. As for saddles, mine came with a Colosi elephant ivory saddle, and the original tusq. I put the tusq on, and did not like it compared to the ivory. That said, I'd like to try plain ole bone cause it's harder. I'd say the saddle makes as much or more difference to the sound, but when I go to different strings I usually either don't like the feel (squeak) or they play and sound great for a whole week, then suck. I get 2-3 months out of Elixirs.

As for the D'addarios, I've never liked a set I bought, but when I bought my used Larrivee 12 string it had coated D'addarios. I replaced with Elixirs, and the D'addarios sounded better. Here's my theory. The D'addarios you just replaced were not dead, but they were in their sweet spot, not brand new. Now you're comparing your new Elixirs to the non-dead strings you just took off. Wait a day or two, and the new strings will probably be sweeter.

Oh, and to answer your previous question. I had a campfire guitar ( a Carlos!) , with plastic pins, and put brass pins in, my deaf 96 year old grandmother could tell the difference. Now, a new Gibson, plastic vs. ebony or ivory, probably not that much difference. But I'm going to put Ivory pins in a guit this nice. Especially since I'm going to play it for about 40 more years (hopefully more).

Hope this helps, let me know if find out how many 2005 J-45's were made in Heritage Cherry Burst!

You are right, the strings sound better today. And also: yesterday it was between pickguards, today the batwing arrived, and perhaps it deadens the top just that tiny little bit I like.

But more mysteriously, I have assumed that we have similar guitars, and that since you say yours looks red'er in the picture than it is, they seem alike. But, yours has a label that reads J-45 HCS, mine just reads J-45. So now I am confused again! Oh well, the guitar is a beauty anyway!

Archived