Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge pins and UST for AJ..?

lclyman

Hi all,

I want to replace the bridge pins in my '06 AJ...

Are they a specific size or will any standard pin fit..?

Also can I install am under-saddle pickup on the AJ..?

I've heard conflicting info on this..

Thanks,

Larry

Gibson bridge pins are funky. I tried standard ones in my 08 J45, they didn't fit properly. I had to take exact measurements with an accurate set of calipers and have a custom set made. The good news is that the new ones fit better than the factory set, and I think they actually improved the sustain slightly (although it may be my imagination). They definitely look better than those crappy plastic ones.

I ordered size 2A double inlay bone pins from Bob Colosi at Guitarsaddles.com

Click for the Best pins & saddles in the world!

and they fit perfectly. As for a UST, my luthier/tech at the Podium said no go on that due to the open ended saddle. I had a K & K Mini Western installed by him instead and LOVE IT!!! The cost was under $200 for the pickup and professional install. It is a passive pickup (no battery required inside your guitar) with 3 transducers that are glued on by the bridge underneath the sound board. I have an external LR Baggs PARA DI that I use as a preamp although the K & K Mini is pretty hot even without the preamp if I just plug in direct to my Genz Benz Shendoah amp. The K & K has the most natural sound and reproduces the tone of my AJ perfectly. Also great for top tapping and amplifiying the soundboard as well.

PICT3329.jpg

Peace_Dove_Strap.jpg

Yes, size 2A should fit perfectly. I also recommend the transducers like a KandK Mini Western versus the under saddle pickups.

If you do venture into the under saddle pickups, make sure you keep your factory original saddle and have a new one made for the pickup installation - tusq is a good material for that.

Unfortunately you just plain can't use a UST with the AJ's open ended bridge so something like the K & K is needed. Don't worry though' date=' the K & K sounds better than any UST I have heard. [/quote']

A UST can be installed in an AJ. It requires using adhesive to hold the pickup in place - and the right adhesive can actually lead to excellent contact - then a notch has to be fashioned into the underside of the saddle. It is tricky work for a patient and experienced luthier, but it can be done.

Archived