Gibson Brands Forums

Sonex 180 Custom questions

kevin134

OK Guys, I am trying to get a possible trade going on a 1980 Sonex 180 Custom. To be honest, I know nothing about the guitar really. So, here's what I do know, its resinwood, came with two dirty fingers pups(zebra) and a coil tap and has a bolt on neck? Also trying to figure out about what one would be worth. He's asking $600 or trade for a epi les paul.. I got the epi.. Any help with some info would be great.. Am I really better off dumping the epi black beauty in favor of one of these?? Thanks (in the pics he has covers on the pups, but says they are original and that he added the covers)

l_ed9f4a5d7f7741eab5409ea459601cdf.jpg

l_8ab055c2d30040b38597e04b35930364.jpg

l_958d6166e83d4c349f02e2d74487c1bf.jpg

l_81279ad6897847278d08609a0b8ffb21.jpg

i have one. they're great guitars. ask about the condition of the neck joint. they have a tendency to crack at the neck pocket- on the part of the body where the neck bolts on. mine came with a fine crack in that area, although it appears to only be a surface crack. the faux plastic/wood composite from which it'a made will probably last forever. they're also cool guitars for projects and stuff since they have big routs under the pickguard. the stock dirty fingers are sweet, but if you want to get creative with different types of pickups you only need to get a new pickguard made. (i'm thinking about doing a single p-90 "junior" type of thing with mine.) good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, I did the trade for the Sonex, turns out it has not been played a ton and is in rather decent shape. It had only one issue which was the chrome covers, shop we did the trade at took them off for $15 and made sure pups were secured correctly..

Archived