Gibson Brands Forums

Recover ID Serial Number Les Paul Special Double-Cut TV Yellow

My Les Paul Special Double-Cut TV Yellow Reissue serial number was not readable as it is very faint in the TV Yellow coatings. I am in process of re-finishing the neck and thought the stamped SN was into the wood and I could read it if lightly sanded. Well, it only penetrated the top coatings and I lost it.

I can provide purchase data etc. Can Gibson ID or re-issue a serial number for this guitar? I contacted  AMS who sold it to me and they said they don't keep serial numbers of scold instruments. So I am contacting Gibson for assistance. Help please.

Thanks,

Billy

That finish filled serial number is one of the way everyone verifies a Gibson is real.  It is almost more important than the serial itself because counterfeiters use real serial numbers but they stamp them after they finish a fake guitar. Here is a suggestion. Stop sanding and get a black light, and see if it is visible under a black light in a dark room then and write it down.  also try doing a pencil and paper rubbing.

If I can prove I purchased it from a Gibson dealer,  would/could Gibson trace it  back to the serial number? Or do they re-issue SN under special circumstances?

I wasn't watching the sanding process that closely because the others Gibson's I have owned had the SN pressed into the wood slightly. I can't believe I was that careless. I knew better.

Tanoaks,

Billy