Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Original 50's neck

Baoluo

Hello to everyone. I'm new to Gibson. I just bought an SJ-200 and I love it!!! I'm very interested in buying a J-45 Original 50's. I have read that the neck is a lot thicker than the J-45 Standard. My question is...Is the neck on the J-45 Original 50's similar to the neck on my SJ-200? I have tried a J-45 Standard locally, but there are no J-45 Original 50's that I can try. What are your thoughts?

Also, do you hear differences in the tone for the J-45 Standard and the J-45 Original 50's? I know structurally they are the same except for the thicker neck and the bone nut and saddle and some cosmetic differences. In listening to Youtube videos the two seem different. Do you think it's just a guitar to guitar difference or what? What tone differences do you hear in these 2 models?

Thanks for anything you can contribute!

Paul

Depending on which SJ-200 you got, the neck with at the nut will be similar.  The neck on the 50s is definitely much chunkier than a stadard, and some folks feel (and I agree) that the extra weight on the neck/guitar mellows the highs and brings out the bass.  Of course the bone vs. tusq helps with this, too.  I've got a 50s and I absolutely love it, though I did change out the tusq pins to ebony.   Obviously it varies from guitar to guitar, but that's my 2 cents. 

Egoidealmusic, Thanks for your replies. My SJ-200 is a brand new one 2021. And I love that neck. I notice it is thicker than the J-45 Standard neck that I tried. So I would be happy if the 50’s Original has the same neck. 
That video is really nice. I love the tone on the 50’s in this video. That’s why I’m hopeful that the 50’s is like my SJ-200. Just can’t find a 50’s to try. 
Anyone else with any thoughts?

If you look at the Wildwood site they list the depth at the 1st fret of the 50s J45 they have in stock as ranging between .88" to .91".  So I would describe them as being on the fuller side of a medium neck (if that makes any sense).  

Edited by zombywoof

Why the hurry?  It is no trouble to find a "good" guitar or even one you consider special.  Plenty of them out there because as you note, there may not be any structural differences between the published specs of this Bozeman-made guitar and that.  But due to the hand finishing one guitar might have somewhat more radically scalloped braces then the next or a slightly thinner bridge plate or whatever.  The differences in sound and feel may be nuanced but they will be there.  But this is what for me makes the hunt fun.

Why the hurry? No hurry, however because with all the delays going on it may be a long time before we have any 50's Original J-45's comes thru locally. Therefore, I will need to order online and I'm trying to determine what to expect from the neck.