Gibson Brands Forums

Debating swapping my 2019 SG’s 490/490 pick-ups for Dirty Fingers (if I can find them)

Mike CT

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, but I’m terrible at knowing what pickups work/don’t work with various guitar bodies.   I currently have a 490/498 in my 2019 SG Standard but have been debating about adding a pickup that is a bit more aggressive/metal for this guitar.  In my LP Standard I have a 59/JB combination which I think is pretty well rounded.  

Do Dirty Fingers pair well with SGs?

Thanks!

Mike

Also, would it be better to leave in the 490R in the neck, or go for a Dirty Fingers set that I guess puts the same DF pick-up in the neck as well.    Looks like most Gibsons that are sold with DF new come with the same pickup in both positions.   At least that’s what it looks like from the Gibson pickups pages.

Hi Mike,

I subscribe to the view that any sort of pickup can be used in any guitar. Only hollow & semi hollow bodys could be different because that subtle tone can be lost/muddied. 

For a SG, I don't see any  downside with DF. They are too hot for my taste, but there was a time when I was into that too. Personally I would swap out both PUs as you're likely find the imbalance of them mixed  difficult to match (volume) up.

Good luck.