Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Rig - RIP - Mac

Typhuz

Keep in mind I am new to guitar through the computer!

I have searched the boards and can't find a solution for this so am guessing I am doing something wrong/stupid.

I have my Rip hooked up via Firewire to a brand new iMac and am getting no sound out of my computer monitors. (I went and upgraded the speakers for this purpose). I have gone through the install and firmware upgrades for the RIP and my Dark Fire but nothing.

I get sound from other apps and I can see the meters in the RIP console and Guitar Rig bouncing happily.

Help!?

Shawn

Wont this send the audio signal to the speakers before Guitar Rig processes?

The goal is to use the speakers that are already hooked up to my computer (don't want to add another set to my desk).

Best regards,

Shawn

RIP may look like a small adapter box - but it is actually an Audio Interface - every bit as capable as other pro audio DAW Firewire interfaces. - its just dedicated to Guitar and Dark Fire specifically .

Re read the RIP Manual for details, and read this thread for more connection information:

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=13102

When tracking in Ableton Live - Unplug your speakers from your Mac - and connect them to the TRS balanced Outputs on the RIP.

Since the RIP is a Core Audio device, You can even configure your other apps ( Garageband) to use the RIP as Audio I/O device.

Got it!

(If only I had RTFM!!)

1-In OSX 10., Apple changed the way that you access its built-in audio

settings. If you plan to use GUITAR RIG 3 without an external soundcard

or the RIG KONTROL, you may need to set up an aggregate device. Here

is how to do it:

2-From the Utilities Folder, launch the Audio MIDI Setup.

3-From the drop-down list labeled audio, choose Create Aggregate Device

4-Press + in the dialog that comes up to create a new entry.

5-Rename the new entry to GUITAR RIG by double clicking in the text

field for Aggregate Device

6-In the use column, check Built in Inputs and Built in Outputs. The

panel should look like this:

Audio 1st on list RIP 2nd on the list

7-When done, press the done button and quit Audio MIDI Setup.

8-Launch GUITAR RIG and open the Audio and MIDI Settings. Select

the aggregated device GUITAR RIG you have just created.

Voila

Sounds incredible! Now why wouldn't I want to run this way? I don't need to move cables but I am guessing latency could be an issue...anything else?

You could also merely select you RIP as your main sound device, also for OSX system sounds and apps (as Elantric suggested) you would then have better latency, if GR3 uses RIP for Ins and Outs.

This can be done in the Audio Midi set-up as well, for OSX and all other apps, but no need for aggregate device if you do so, thus better latency. Of course you need to select RIP as sound device in audio midi settings in GR3 too.

As core audio mixes stuff in the background, this even allows you to have several apps playing together thru RIP, cool for playing over iTunes stuff, for example.

Hope I am clear and hope this helps,

When tracking in Ableton Live - Unplug your speakers from your Mac - and connect them to the TRS balanced Outputs on the RIP.

that for sure is not a very practical solution ... why don't you just get a small mixer ( or a monitor controller ), feed you DAW and your RIP output in there ...

agregate devices are as matbard said not the wholy grail although it might apper that way, and software monitoring through your DAW is very likely to have too much latency (although come to think of it, the rip is already sort of software monitoring since the sound isn't processed in there).

I ordered cables but I'll be honest I am not hearing any issues right now with the setup I have. Granted it is a new iMac so maybe over time latency will be introduced but right now it sounds pretty good. Crackling on some of the effects which seems to be GR3 related according to their forums.

Having said that I am still taking the recommendation from the forum and will post any findings when I get the cables hooked up directly from the RIP.

Shawn

Typhuz,

For general tasks - what you are doing with creating an Agregate device may work fine for your basic recording needs. Its very convenient, and the Apple OSX is the best in this regard.

But if you get more advanced running several simultaneous AU instruments, Rex Files, and placing more CPU load on your system, you will free up more resources (CPU. Memory,etc) for these tasks by simply running a single Audio Hardware I/O device.

Myself I use a patchbay, and I will use a different Audio interface depending on my task.

Archived