Gibson Brands Forums

Old magnets on PU

kaicho8888

Since age sometimes has its toll on vintage instruments, I assume magnets in PU loose their magnetic attraction. Do any of you know if there is a need to "re magnetize" the PU magnets? ...is it worth taking them apart and zapping the magnet to improve tone?

...just wondering.

Some say that magnet ageing has improved their pickups, made them mellower and richer. Some pup manufacturers even artificially age their magnets.

Once I had a Duncan Custom Custom that was very weak. I sent it to Kent Armstrong. I'm not sure if it was re-magged or the magnet was replaced but it is certainly the full ticket now!

I wonder when the PAFs on vintage Burst's will be 'passed their sell-by date'? Up to now, the fashion has been to revel in their vintage tone, some of which is said to be down to magnet age. Can they age too far? Is there an optimum age? How will we know?

I don't think I have seen problems with the oldies, unless there is a significant volume differences with the bridge and neck PU. I just adjust the amp tone/volume to suit my aging ears.

...Just curious if such a problem exist with vintage axes.

Archived