Gibson Brands Forums

A late night cover of eden abbey's "Nature Boy"

rustystrings

Thank you!  The day I met my J-45, I was actually looking for an ES-165, some sort of hollowbody single-pickup jazz box.  That was not to be - the moment I laid a hand on this guitar, I thought, "I'm home."  It was kind of eerie, a feeling of "why is my guitar on the wall of this Guitar Center?" coupled with the same strange sensation of being influenced that comes when you pick  up a well-worn vintage guitar and feel guided to play things you normally wouldn't, like you're being steered into a new direction by the guitar itself.  This one had that effect the very first night I got it home, and it is the ONLY new guitar I have ever experienced that with.

Years later, I understand now that J-45s have that archtop DNA baked into their design, created by guys whose hearts were still into carved arches enough that they worked in the same parabolic arch into their nominal flat top instruments.  

I loved the chords, and I love songs like this that present me with new chords to learn.  The E+5 and the descending Am - AmMaj7 - Am7 - Am6 felt swoony once I got comfortable with them, and the Am/F# just feels really satisfying to play.

The REAL challenge was this - 

• Like 2