Gibson Brands Forums

DR-500MCE string replacement

wobblybob

I've had this guitar for several years and absolutely love it. This might sound like a newb question. Is there any harm in removing all the strings? I need to shim the bridge saddle. I thought I read somewhere to try and avoid removing all the strings, something about pressure from the strings on the under mount pickup and it could cause problems?? I can't find anything about this and wanted to see if anyone has done this without any problem. Thanks!

I typically try to change strings one at a time because the string tension will not change much. If I were to remove all the strings at once (which is inevitable at some point) the neck will shift somewhat and likely the top as well. Once the strings are back on, it’ll go back to normal but it may take several hours or several days to get back to where it once was. As stated, it’s inevitable, but if you’re simply changing strings, changing one at a time can all but eliminate this re-acclimation period. Go ahead and remove all the strings and do your shimming, just know that there may be buzzes and tuning problems for a time afterwards, and know you didn’t break anything. It’ll all be good.