Gibson Brands Forums

Humbucker to Mini Humbucker Conversion Mounting Ring

I would like to mount a mini-humbucker in a full-size humbucker slot on a old Gibson LP Deluxe that was modded for full-size humbuckers. Searching around and it seems like there are very few options for a product like this. I would like it to look good, so I don't want to just mount the mini in the full size ring, nor do I want to cut a ring out of pickguard material. I have only seen a couple options for this of the latter variety (on Amazon and eBay). And so far the only thing I have seen for something that doesn't look like junk is this, but kind of pricey:

https://www.deemic.com/mini-humbucker-adapter.html

Has anyone found a product like this?

Originally, the pickups were mounted in empty P-90 covers. Early routs in some of the openings were sloppy so they added “Goof Rings”. The Goof Rings could be made big enough to cover up the extra routing for full sized humbuckers……

DWGrqhG.jpg

Edited by Grog

• 2 weeks later...

I like that solution. So it looks like I could make the goof rings from some single ply pickguard material.

Also would need to get two mounting brackets. So far I haven’t found many options for that. At stewmac they are $22 each. I checked allparts but no luck. Some on reverb but sold.

Any ideas where I can get these parts?

The mounting brackets were just fabricated out of aluminum bar stock at the time. 1/8” X 3/8”? The mounting screws were the odd part. If I recall correctly, a #2-56 threaded stock was soldered to a larger screw like a #6-32. Mine seized up the only time I disassembled it & I had to re-tap it. The Deluxe was a make shift model modified to use up a surplus of Mini Humbuckers Gibson had in stock when they moved production of the Epiphone guitars to Japan in the late sixties. This allowed them to mount a humbuckers in the place of a P-90 with minimum re-tooling.

Here is a photo under the bracket when I took mine apart years ago………..

A6kVc2e.jpg