Gibson Brands Forums

How much is my 1999 ES-335 Plain Block Limited Edition Natural Worth?

edmondss

I reciently brought a guitar from a guy and i can't find another quite like it on the internet. i'm attempint to see what it's worth for insurance purposes. It a 1999 ES-335. natural wood with black binding. Is says limited edition on the back of the headstock. gibson is written the top front of the headstock in antique looking fonts and nothing else on the headstock. It has block inlays. do anyone have any ideal? thanks

I reciently brought a guitar from a guy and i can't find another quite like it on the internet. i'm attempint to see what it's worth for insurance purposes. It a 1999 ES-335. natural wood with black binding. Is says limited edition on the back of the headstock. gibson is written the top front of the headstock in antique looking fonts and nothing else on the headstock. It has block inlays. do anyone have any ideal? thanks

I would need to see pictures. The description sounds different from anything I have seen. It sounds like a very interesting guitar although the font on the headstock sounds odd, or maybe I am misunderstanding you.

Ignatius

here is an old gibson ad

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/Limited/ES-335LE.html

hover over the natural color one' date=' that it exactly. [/quote']

Cool-looking axe. I like the dark binding. Very cool.

I don't think the logo on the headstock is in an antique font. It is the silk-screened logo. Yours has a sort of goldish-bronze color logo or something like that, right? It has been my experience that Gibson uses the silk-screened logo on its lower-end versions of a given guitar line. I could be wrong, but the guitars in those ads look like they were the late '90s-early '00s version of the current satin finish ES-335. I know they don't have a satin finish, but it appears that every few years or so, Gibson experiments with ways to offer a less-costly package that is still the real deal. In 2003-2005, it was the ES-333, which also had a silk-screened logo, but it featured neck binding and a set of pickups that many thought were not the best for the 335. And now, the satin 335 has an inlay logo and the flagship pickups, but it lacks neck binding and has a thinner satin finish.

Or it could just be that your guitar is an example of what were the base standard model of the ES-335 at the turn of the millennium. My hesitance to go with that answer is the LTD designation. That almost always means it was "out of the regular system" of models.

It's hard from the pictures at that link for me to tell what is "new look" about those guitars other than the dark binding. However, I am sure more knowledgeable Gibson players will let us know, though.

Lastly, be careful not to judge value solely on the basis of ebay. As we have been discussing in another thread, the auction setting or the lack of buyer experience seems to be overvaluing many of the more popular models available there.

Ignatius

• 2 years later...

I have this same guitar. They were made in 1999 and 2000 (I believe mine is a 2000) by Gibson Memphis. This Limited Edition model came in beale street blue, natural and a very interesting orangey red color. Other striking features include a black binding, ebony fretboard and block inlays. Not to mention a simple gold "Gibson" headstock decal and a "Limited Edition" decal on the back of the headstock. I can't pull this ES-335 out of the case without getting some kind of comment regarding the rare black binding. I purchased mine in 2003 for $1,500, so hearing one went on eBay for $2,500 is good news!

Archived