Gibson Brands Forums

Historic Dyes Bleeding into the Binding?

58 reissue

Hey Guys,

I have had my 2007 1958 Les Paul VOS Reissue for about 2 years now, and have noticed a while ago that the dyes on the neck have been bleeding into the neck binding, as the binding is now pinkish-red rather than its regular yellow. Is this normal? I'm guessing that if it is, it is bleeding due to the VOS finishing process. Anybody have any thoughts about this? Sorry but no pix.

I guess it may go away, i have 2002, 356, that i bought new and while the amount of bleed seems to vary now and then, it is still in the binding, without showing any significant decrease. On the positive side, it has a beautifully contoured neck, with a soft vintage feel, a real pleasure to play. I don't have a closeup of the neck, but the bleed is a little more pronounced on the top of the neck than the bottom and really starts very light in the top of the picture. You might also note that the first year or so models that were red, also had red inside the f holes.

035.jpg

• 2 years later...

I have a '99 40th Anniversary R9 and it has the dye bleeding into the binding near the top strap button. It's been there now for 12 years and hasn't faded. Will it go away? My guess here is that if it hasn't after this much time, it likely will be there in another decade's time.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Totally normal and historically correct (I'm told). My 2001 R8 had pink binding due to bleed for several years. It has now almost completely disappeared. I have left this guitar out on a wall hanger every day since I have owned it. That may have sped up the fading process.

• 1 month later...

Archived