Gibson Brands Forums

PayPal? Working?

TommyK

My son has a PayPal account he hasn't had to use in over a year. Recently, some money exited his bank account under the auspices of PayPal. It was for around $500.00. He contacted PayPal, told him he hadn't purchased anything using PayPal in over a year and he wanted the money back. He gave him his information. They said they'd start an investigation. #-o They didn't know how long it would take. Money is tight and he couldn't withstand the loss for very long. He contacted his bank. He related the story. They said they would have the money back in his account by the next day. They would just withold transfers to PayPal, in the amount of 'around $500.00', while PayPal 'investigated.'

If your bank has enough volume with PayPal, they may be able to give you some leverage.

I thought PayPal was supposed to keep this from happening?

I've been lucky with Paypal. I've been a member pretty much since they started. I've sold (and bought) God knows how much stuff on ebay and also used the Paypal debit card to pay for all shipping, etc. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones. I know there are some tales out there that would make any sane person never trust Paypal to take out the garbage.

Paypal is evil. Ebay is evil. They're all crooks. I've just dodged bullets for a long time. My day will come, I'm sure.

I have been on the receiving end of fraudulent transactions from Paypal and my experience has been that they do eventually take care of things. Like the time the guy sent me an ultra-rare DVD for more than $100 only to find the DVD didn't play. Now mind you, this DVD was shipped in bubble wrap and a cardboard box, but he assured me that the disc was fine when he had sent it but had been placed by a heater in transit that rendered it unplayable, and thus, not his problem.

I sent the disc back to him using a trackable method and Paypal refunded my money after an "investigation." In the days leading up to the refund, however, I thought I was going to get screwed. It wasn't a lot of money, but it was lot of money, if you know what I mean. Bottom line, I've used Paypal and eBay a lot (both buying and selling) and I guess I've been lucky too. I'm not sure I would use it for anything major, like a guitar anymore, but that doesn't stop me from looking.

Archived