Gibson Brands Forums

Replacement tuners for IBG Hummingbird

egoidealmusic

Hi all,

Recently acquired a IBG Hummingbird and am very happy with it--except for the tuners.  A lot of the reviews that I read have had similar complaints about them not keeping tune very well and I'm finding this to be the case.  Am considering replacing them and am split between the Gotoh's and the Golden Age (both from StewMac).  Anyone had experience changing these out?

Thanks!

Congratulations! I just pre-ordered one the other day. As far as the tuners, I've never had a problem with any grover tuners, but what I have had a situation with is a new guitar still settling/acclimating  because it's an all wooded instrument and maybe strings as well. When I got my Gibson Hummingbird years ago (6 string) I was having a few very slight issues with the tuning but it settled down and never had a problem since. My 6 string Epiphone Hummingbird (bought new) was the same way, it's a 2012 (no electronics) with grovers on it. I think another biggie is it being a 12 string. 12 strings are very temperamental anyway. All the things I've read and seen with 12 strings that's the main thing everyone covers first, the tuning no matter the brand. Again congratulations!

Edited by the other side

• 5 months later...
On 9/14/2023 at 4:28 PM, egoidealmusic said:

Hi all,

Recently acquired a IBG Hummingbird and am very happy with it--except for the tuners.  A lot of the reviews that I read have had similar complaints about them not keeping tune very well and I'm finding this to be the case.  Am considering replacing them and am split between the Gotoh's and the Golden Age (both from StewMac).  Anyone had experience changing these out?

Thanks!

Well, I too just got a new IBG Hummingbird in February 2024 and it has the epiphone deluxe tuners on it and is a fantastic guitar, but not 100% satisfied with the tuners. I was wondering if you ever found some replacements and what was entailed swapping them out, like enlarging the existing holes or something? Thx.

I found good replacements on Stewmac, but interestingly I waited and the existing tuners have really shaped up and now keep tune well.  Not sure if they just needed to be broken in like the rest of the guitar but I'm not rushing to swap them out.

And congrats on your new IBG bird!  I really like mine (though as I posted elsewhere it did take some work to get it to open up).

Thanks and thx for the info. I was kinda thinking along the same lines as a possibility of of things still moving around a little cause I just got it Feb 21. Not quite a month old yet. I just replaced the bone saddle with another unbleached saddle from Macnichols (no affiliation) cause of a small chip in the back of the factory saddle about a week ago. They stay in tune pretty good though its not like out of tune after a song. Thx again!