Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Heritage 60's ? Any help dating this thing

circusmonkey404

So I think I might be the luckiest person in the world. I found this vintage Heritage at a local thrift store for  5 dollars. The bridge is pulling up and there are some cracks. I dropped it off to get an estimate for repairs. I'm just trying to understand exactly what I got here.

The Serial I believe is 530791 the Third digit is hard to read the grain of the guitar is really heavy there originally I thought it was a 8, Which I've seen could be 

Year: 1966, 1968 or 1969

Info: serial number is stamped on the back of the headstock

Trying to figure out if I can exactly what this guitar is. It has just the Single X bracing. Grover Tuners that say Pat Pen. No pickguard. Belly Down. Is it Brazilin or Indian Rosewood?

Anyhelp?

PXL-20230920-153437804.jpgPXL-20230920-165523640.jpgPXL-20230920-165529056.jpgPXL-20230920-165537489.jpgPXL-20230920-180933875.jpgPXL-20230920-235414232.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hate you….. 😆 

Living the dream, man.   That sure is pretty.  have you tried calling Gibson? Might be too far back, but doesn’t hurt.  

Fwiw, I think it could be a 6 or an 8 You might try dusting some flour or talcum powder over the stamp and gently brushing or blowing it off. Might make the shape more legible.  Or use the light paper/pencil rubbing trick. 

Off to visit our thrift store…

Edited by PrairieDog

Chuckle, found  this  on Reverb.    

https://reverb.com/item/69343757-rare-gibson-brazilian-rosewood-back-only-made-for-the-heritage-model-made-in-kalamazoo-probably-1965-68

Every time I drive by some homemade garage or auction sale sign I can’t stop at, I always figure there’s a dusty pre-war J45 marked 10.00 tucked under one of the card tables.  

All features on your Heritage conform to a 1968 or 1969 build date.  The rosewood back & sides are laminated, and this can clearly be seen by comparing the grain lines on the back with those visible through the soundhole.  1965-1967 Heritage models had solid rosewood back & sides and a belly-up bridge.  Rosewood used during this period most commonly was Brazilian.

Edited by bobouz