Gibson Brands Forums

ES-355 Split Diamond Color

Terrasolo

I've recently been doing some research on the 355s based on a recent order, and I've noticed looking at the Noel Gallagher 355 that the Split Diamond on the headstock is yellowed or gold in tone. At first I had assumed that this was part of the aging, with the clear coating having been made to yellow. So I figured the best thing to do would be to check the Gibson site for a look at their new 355s and I'm still left confused. The "1959 ES-355 Ebony Ultra Light Aged" seems to show a silver/white mother of pearl split diamond, even though it is listed as ultra light aged, so I started to assume that they would all start with a silver/white color. Then I saw the "1959 ES-355 Reissue" in both Natural and Ebony, and they each appeared to have a gold-ish split diamond, although not as dark as some others. The only other one currently on the site to view is the "1959 ES-355 Watermelon Red Light Aged" which again appears to be yellowed/gold-ish. 

The reason that I am asking is because I have placed a Custom Shop order, and I'm curious what to expect on a Cherry 355. For years I have been quite taken with vintage 355s, which do usually appear to be gold-ish in tone for the split diamond, so I had just assumed that this is the color they are, but now I have to wonder what is age, and what is not? Do these guitars come with different colored split diamonds depending on the body color? Or is the yellow/gold simply age. Any help would be appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2023 at 4:57 AM, Terrasolo said:

For years I have been quite taken with vintage 355s, which do usually appear to be gold-ish in tone for the split diamond...

Vintage 355's should always have the yellowed tone split diamond, unless the original lacquer has been removed.  This sometimes happens, because when it begins to crackle and chip off, some owners will remove all of it for a more uniform (completely un-yellowed) appearance.

I suppose there may have been slight variations in the color qualities of "clear" lacquer that was used over the years; and of course the aging lacquer on different guitars can vary in color due to environmental factors such as the amount of exposure to heat, cold, direct sunlight, and cigarette smoke.  But back in the day, I don't think that there were different colors of lacquer chosen according to a guitar's body color. 

As far as newer guitars, and what to expect from custom builds, I honestly have no idea what is being done in terms of things like artificial aging, etc.  That's a good question to ask of someone associated with or very familiar with the custom shop.

This has been a great help, thank you! My order will not have any custom aging, so I'm good on that point. And it seems that you clarified my question for me perfectly. I believe I should be expecting the white color that could yellow over time on its own. Thank you again!