Gibson Brands Forums

the inevitable (?) es339 vs. cs336 thread

eljay

unless there already is one . . . and i've missed it . . .

i'm new to gibson, having just purchased a satin red es335, so don't flame me too bad for my ignorance.

before buying the 335, i was looking into the 339 but they are on back order almost everywhere. a pretty nifty guitar, it seems.

last nite i saw the cs336/356 thread and checked those out. spent over an hour on the web when i should have been asleep!

i have the impression that the 336 is larger than the 335 but smaller than the 339; am i correct?

i've had it in mind to get a 339 at some point, but the 336 now looks intriguing and the owners seem to love 'em.

when the time comes, i'll be able to afford either guitar.

which would "you" buy?

many thanks for comments, eljay

I bought a 339 and I love it. It's my first Gibson and fits nicely with my Teles and Martin Acoustic. I love the size, its very tele like or les paul like. I was also thinking of buying a custom shop 336, which was special ordered and the buyer ended up getting tired of waiting so he bought a 335. It was a matter of $400 more in price and I settled on the lesser price of the 339. They seemed to be pretty identical, except the 336 was carved solid wood, not laminate but it didn't have the Memphis Tone. in the end it was the right decision. I bought a guitar I could afford right away.

i have the impression that the 336 is larger than the 335 but smaller than the 339; am i correct?

The 336 and 339 (and the 356 & 359) are the same size as each other. They are all substantially smaller than the 335 size. Here's an old pic I saved showing the size difference between a 335 (on the left) and a 336 (on the right). Not my guitars.

345_4979_fp7nu325466_368WSNRCG32328.jpg

Archived