Gibson Brands Forums

what is the "right" case for my 1967 SG Special? Photo?

Sir Ricardo

Hello! from a newbie.....I'm Sir Ricardo on BAM, TGP, and everywhere else. Real name....Richard.

I have a 1967 SG Special.......great guitar; when I got it, it came in a non-original case.

I've wanted to try and get the right, vintage case for it, but I don't know what kind of Gibson case I should get.

Can anyone post a photo of a 1967 SG Special case? Or send one to me, at richard_boubelik@yahoo.com ?

I would very much appreciate it.

thanks in advance - -

Richard

There were several cases available at that time.

This is the one that you want, my '68 Special is shown in it.

Make sure that you don't get an earlier SG (small pickguard) case, because the neck support pad is in a different spot.

That's because the neck joints are different.

Notice that the neck support pad is right under the neck joint.

They're not cheap, but it will enhance the value of your guitar with one of these cases.

Do not buy the cheaper cases with no neck joint support- that's not good for SGs.

DCP_0482.jpg

DCP_0481.jpg

Here is an Original 1962 SG and it's case

1962sgcase.jpg

30U-15066_case-open_sm_.jpg

Don't know what color yours would of come with

Heres one I got. Don't know what year it is

000_3889.jpg

It house's my 2001

000_3898.jpg

000_3897.jpg

They have a real sloppy fit and the guitar moves around alot when inside. The newer ones offer much more protection and they bring about 600-800 dollars on Ebay when you can find them

Max-

Those are nice cases, but they are wrong for a large pickguard SG.

As I said, the neck pad is in the wrong place for the large pickguard neck joint.

The case with the '62 SG in it is pretty much the same case that I have for the '65 SG in my signature.

Your case is one of the variations for the '60-'66 small pickguard SG.

It's not that they won't work for a large pickguard SG, but they are not the correct case.

My suggestion to you is to put it on ebay and buy yourself a recent Gibson USA SG Standard case, unless you plan to buy an early SG.

Archived