Gibson Brands Forums

what is it worth

Hi All,

This guitar is up for auction at a local auction.  Any estimate of what it would go for on the open market, I realize that it is a hard question without actually seeing / playing it, but it appears to be in good condition. It is marked with "SECOND" so I'm sure that would make anyone Leary.

IMG-20240105-144800654.jpgIMG-20240105-144732154.jpgIMG-20240105-144747127-HDR.jpgIMG-20240105-144621188-HDR.jpgIMG-20240105-144721706.jpg

It is a Gibson ES-Artist from the late 1970s-early 80s with Moog electronics inside (which cannot be replaced or serviced these days if not working) and quite rare now.

The 'SECOND' stamp no longer has any effect on the price. 

I am in the UK and this would be advertised now for at least £4k in very good condition, probably more.  However on the guitar pictured the gold plating has worn off the pickup covers and screws, the original brass nut has been replaced and it may have been refretted (can't be sure from the pics), all of which reduces the value somewhat.  I would say around $3-3.5k in the USA if it still has the original working electronics which are powered by a 9v battery (open the backplate and check it's not flat!)...but I could be way out.

https://www.es-335.com/2012/07/09/es-artist/

Edited by jdgm