Gibson Brands Forums

Have You Ever Seen Another Blues King Electro Like This One?

SilverSpoons

I purchased this guitar brand new a few years back and I have never seen a Blues King Electro with a solid quilted maple top ever again. I have seen a few with a flame maple top and lots of spruce but nothing like this!! Sorry picture is not very good, I only have a crappy little digital camera. Of course Gibson won't tell you a thing about it or how many like it were made.

Have any of you ever seen one like it, or is it truly a unique family heirloom?

GibsonBluesKingElectroQuilt.jpg

I purchased this guitar brand new a few years back and I have never seen a Blues King Electro with a solid quilted maple top ever again.

Well, it's not unique, because Haight Ashbury Music's now-defunct Sunnyvale store had one a few years ago. I don't recall the number they told me when I asked how many Gibson had built, but it was pretty small. Definitely one of the prettiest guitars I've ever seen. I wasn't all that fond of the acoustic tone, but it sounded just fine plugged in and so would have made an awesome stage guitar.

-- Bob R

Well' date=' it's not unique, because Haight Ashbury Music's now-defunct Sunnyvale store had one a few years ago. I don't recall the number they told me when I asked how many Gibson had built, but it was pretty small. Definitely one of the prettiest guitars I've ever seen. I wasn't all that fond of the acoustic tone, but it sounded just fine plugged in and so would have made an awesome stage guitar. -- Bob R[/quote']

I really wish I could find out how many they made. Is there any way of finding out? I actually called Gibson Montana a few years ago and got absolutely nowhere with them.

That is very cool. They made a Starburst model that had a maple top and a venetian cutaway. It had stars in the fretboard. I've never seen one like yours. What effect does the maple top have on the sound?

The top makes the tone quite bright , so much so that I ended up changing to strings to some Stainless Flat Wounds and that warmed it up really nicely right back to where I like it. This thing plays absolutely awesome, I truly have not found another acoustic guitar that I like any better.

I really wish I could find out how many they made. Is there any way of finding out? I actually called Gibson Montana a few years ago and got absolutely nowhere with them.

I'm not surprised Bozeman couldn't help. They just don't seem keep records of this kind of stuff, at least not in any form that allows them to go back and have a look. ("That's Gibson for ya!" as we say around here.) If I had to guess on the number the guy at Haight told me, I'd go with either 12 or 24 -- but it really would be just a guess after all this time.

-- Bob R

I'm not surprised Bozeman couldn't help. They just don't seem keep records of this kind of stuff' date=' at least not in any form that allows them to go back and have a look. ("That's Gibson for ya!" as we say around here.) If I had to guess on the number the guy at Haight told me, I'd go with either 12 or 24 -- but it really would be just a guess after all this time. -- Bob R[/quote']

Back when I purchased it, I asked the same question and the sales guy said something like 10 or 12. It has been a while but I'm absolutely certain it was under 20 at that time. Seems like there weren't too many manufacturers putting that kind of wood on an acoustic guitar back then, so the lower number kinda makes sense to me.

I actually ordered the spruce top guitar and got this one by mistake. Man was I the lucky one!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not surprised Bozeman couldn't help. They just don't seem keep records of this kind of stuff' date=' at least not in any form that allows them to go back and have a look. ("That's Gibson for ya!" as we say around here.) If I had to guess on the number the guy at Haight told me, I'd go with either 12 or 24 -- but it really would be just a guess after all this time. -- Bob R[/quote']

Back when I purchased it, I asked the same question and the sales guy said something like 10 or 12. It has been a while but I'm absolutely certain it was under 20 at that time. Seems like there weren't too many manufacturers putting that kind of wood on an acoustic guitar back then, so the lower number kinda makes sense to me.

I actually ordered the spruce top guitar and got this one by mistake. Man was I the lucky and surprised one!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived