Gibson Brands Forums

Old L-3 info requested

7 hours ago, slimt said:

The parts are gassing off. The celluloid is deteriorating  , it will cause slot of damage to other parts of the guitar , like binding, the overall finish, all the metal parts   So best to take out of the case  and remove the metal clasps and screws    The pick guard is held on by two nails at the finger board and one resting at the tail piece. Lightly wiggle that away from the board.  Put those oarts in s zip lock in another room.   

Yes.  The only quibble I have is not a ziplock, that will trap the gasses, furthering the damage and the bag will eventually burst. tissue paper in a ventilated box, in a well-ventilated area will allow the gasses to dissipate naturally and not cause more damage.  Just keep it well away from close contact with any other items. It’s probably too far gone to even be stabilized, but I’d have the luthier decide before chucking it.  Museums might try to soak/encase celluloid in another stable acrylic matrix, to stop the reaction. but that is usually done when there is only a little decay.    

13 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Yes.  The only quibble I have is not a ziplock, that will trap the gasses, furthering the damage and the bag will eventually burst. tissue paper in a ventilated box, in a well-ventilated area will allow the gasses to dissipate naturally and not cause more damage.  Just keep it well away from close contact with any other items. It’s probably too far gone to even be stabilized, but I’d have the luthier decide before chucking it.  Museums might try to soak/encase celluloid in another stable acrylic matrix, to stop the reaction. but that is usually done when there is only a little decay.    

I have a glue that stops the gassing  off.  Is also fuses the crumbled pickguard together.  

but if these to far gone. There are other guards out there with bracket  mounts. 

Edited by slimt
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, slimt said:

I have a glue that stops the gassing  off.  Is also fuses the crumbled pickguard together.  

but if these to far gone. There are other guards out there with bracket  mounts. 

Paraloid/B-72? Cool stuff. We use it in our lab.  

1 minute ago, PrairieDog said:

Paraloid/B-72? Cool stuff. We use it in our lab.  

Something very similar. It is for acrylic.  
my harp guitar tailpiece crumbled beyond saving. I made a tailpiece  out of deep epoxy with dye.   I couldnt of asked for a better result. And strong. Enough to hold 16 strings 

• Like 1