Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for a mid 60s J-50

gibtex5

Well, after going to several guitar stores in the Austin area, and playing a bunch of new and used guitars, I've come to the conclusion that I really need to go to the original source for what I'm looking for: a mid 60s Gibson J-50 (preferably 64 or 65). The reissues just aren't doing it for me, mostly because I really prefer the 1-11/16 nut size and that very solid but fast mid 60s neck.

I played one nice 1965 J-50 the other day, but the neck finish (and the rest of the finish) was pretty badly beat up, even tho the neck itself felt great, and the sound was everything I'm looking for. There are several interesting ones available online from dealers, but I'm a little hesitant to buy without playing one, even though I've bought guitars before sight unseen (from Elderly - a very nice Martin), and most of the reputable vintage dealers have return policies.

Just thought I'd throw a couple questions out:

What would you be willing to pay for a very good to excellent condition 65 J-50?

I'm thinking that I might be able to get more of a deal if someone has done something mildly sacriligious like installed a pickup or put in a non-adj bridge, making it less valuable to collectors but not affecting the sound or playability. I'm not talking horrible things like knobs on the guitar top or plugs of wood or huge badly repaired cracks.

Any thoughts or opinions would be welcome.

Since these guitars are not going to necessarily be particularly common to find, I'd suggest using a tool such as gbase.com to help you in your quest.

gbase loads up a little slow (it has some image-heavy advertising to support it....), but it can be a useful tool to help you locate gear, compare prices, etc.

This is what I got when I typed in '63-'68 Gibson J-50: mid sixties J-50

Depending upon your search parameters and their target, you may end up finding a lot or only a little.

Good luck.

Fred

Thanks, I've only recently discovered gbase, and looked through it yesterday. I emailed a couple dealers and got some useful info.

Today I just missed out on a 1968 J-50 on ebay that was priced to go - it sold right after it was listed - but from what I've been reading, the bracing and bridge was changed slightly in 1968, so the sound might not be everything I want.

I'm sure it will take a while, but I've learned that there is always one out there to find.

I've found one that I'm seriously considering. It was (gasp) refinished, which definitely drives down the value, but it's a 1960 J-50 for just under $2,000.

I almost like that someone else has ruined the collector's value first, since I like to have a pickup in mine for playing out, and I would probably not want to put one in an intact vintage instrument.

I started out looking at J-45s, but for some reason I'm becoming partial to the J-50s. Either would be fine really. The guitar I'm really missing, that started this whole search, was a J-45.

What would ever make someone refinish an old guitar anyway? Boggles the imagination.

skip, I did email you but didn't hear back.

I was only about 1/2 hour late on purchasing a 1964 J-50 in what seemed to be very nice condition for $1200. Ouch! The first guy who called grabbed it.

Gibson custom shop may be able to build me a new red spruce top/quilted mahogany with the smaller 1-11/16" nut size. I'm getting it priced.

If it's too pricey, I may just go with the refinished 1960 J-50, and leave it in a smoke filled room for a couple of years...

Archived