Gibson Brands Forums

1967 ?? Gibson ES330 serial Number 062517

Yorkie

Hi I wonder if anyone could help me find out more about my ES330.  I acquired it in the  early 1970 `s  it has been in the loft /attic for most of its life but now  being played. I intend to get it looked at very soon by a Gibson dealership in  London and see it it needs any work doing. I do wish to get a pick guard put on it .

My question please is ,can anyone confirm the serial number is indeed what I always thought to be ie A 1967 Guitar.  Thank you for looking  at the post.  Cheers Andy.

Edited by Yorkie

• Yorkie changed the title to 1967 ?? Gibson ES330 serial Number 062517

Hi Andy,

Yes that serial number is correct for 1967. Finding a period correct pick guard will be quite expensive. Good luck getting it playable again. Many years ago I had a '66 ES-330 and I currently have a 1969 ES-335. 

Thank you for your reply  It is reassuring top know that the serial number is correct for the period I thought . I am going to a Gibson  guitar shop  In London (The Gibson Garage London on Eastcastle Street  In Westminster W1)   next week to have them take a look at it for me.

Just out of interest I got my love of the electric guitar way back in 1970, when I went to the  (now famous) Isle Of Wight Festival . When amongst many other great bands, I saw the late great Jimi Hendrix  play. I was blown away by his playing . It must have been one of his last appearances as he died in London a few weeks later  on September 18th.   I believe under very mysterious circumstances.

Cool. One of my favorite albums from the era is Taste: Live at the Isle of Wight. Rory Gallagher is one of my guitar heroes; along with Jimi of course. I'm happy that there is a lot of great video footage of that festival, the UK's answer to Woodstock. I was just 12 at the time. I remember hearing Clapton's Let it Rain in 1970 and the outro guitar solo is what made me want to become a guitarist. I just loved the high, tinny Strat tone and I played Strats for many decades before switching over to Gibsons in the last dozen years or so.