Gibson Brands Forums

1942 J-50

These are the kinds of guitars that you do not as much feel you own but have been appointed the caretaker of.  I know because I have had a 1942 J50 living with me for something over 12 years now.  It is also the instrument where it finally hit home that the guitar you were meant to have will find you.   And while I do not want to make you weep, my total investment in this guitar came to $1K less than what a new Historic Collection '42 Banner J45 would run me.  But I have always been one lucky S.O.B. when it comes to Gibsons.

• Like 2

Whatever that unknown force which brings me and Gibsons together is, it still got its Mojo working.  I went out today looking for a particular LP being offered on Record Day in a town about 20 minutes down the road.  Utterly failing in my mission to find the vinyl, I decided just for grins to stop by a music shop that I know pretty well.  Good selection of new stuff but not a place known for carrying vintage guitars.   Lo and behold though what do I see hanging on the wall up on the second floor near the repair shop with a note saying please do not touch and ask for assistance - an early-1930s 16" round soundhole Gibson L4.

Edited by zombywoof

14 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Whatever that unknown force which brings me and Gibsons together is, it still got its Mojo working.  I went out today looking for a particular LP being offered on Record Day in a town about 20 minutes down the road.  Utterly failing in my mission to find the vinyl, I decided just for grins to stop by a music shop that I know pretty well.  Good selection of new stuff but not a place known for carrying vintage guitars.   Lo and behold though what do I see hanging on the wall up on the second floor near the repair shop with a note saying please do not touch and ask for assistance - an early-1930s 16" round soundhole Gibson L4.

And….????? Don’t leave us hanging! Did you get it? 

11 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Impressive.  I should learn your restraint.  

I am still in that place where I just do not get emotional about guitars.  In a way it is kind of liberating.  Plus, it is a great rationalization for spending money on other things - the what the heck, I would have dropped that much on a guitar in a heartbeat thing.

• Haha 1

The second-generation luthier who fixed my '42 up handed it back with the words his father called guitars which sounded like mine a "once in a blue moon Gibson."  He also said he never heard his father use that accolade on any Gibson other than those built in the 1940s.  

On 4/20/2024 at 6:23 PM, zombywoof said:

That took impressive restraint.  One of the two guitars I used to own that I still have twinges of regret about parting with was an early '30s roundhole L4 that came to me with massive holes from being fitted with magnetic pickups and controls, no frets, and much missing finish.  I had it rebuilt by David Hosler (now at 7C in St Petersburg FL), just structural repair, no attempts at cosmetics or restoration.  When I walked in to pick it up, Dave's first words were, "Normally these guitars don't sound so great, but this one does."  And it DID, somehow sounding like a cross between the best of a Gibson archtop with a lovely old -45.  Unbelievable "WHOMP!!" to the tone, just enough sustain - and tremendous clarity.  If you played a clam, you (and everyone around you) heard it.  It was an awesome guitar that changed how I hear guitars.