Gibson Brands Forums

J45 Banner 1942 versus Murphy Lab

I’ve decided on getting one of these.  Don’t have the opportunity to try either one of them in person.  Leaning towards the Banner because I’m under the impression that the Murphy is the Banner but with distress marks?  Can someone confirm/deny?

Also, I’m very familiar with the modern Gibson neck, but the Banner has a “historic” neck, which some say is like a baseball bat.  How appreciable is the difference between the modern modern neck and historic?

Any feedback appreciated.  

You're correct. The regular Banner J-45 from Gibson Custom does not have any wear marks. It's a recreation of the original 1942 Banner J-45, as close as possible to the originals as they would have been straight from Gibson in 1942. The Murphy Lab Banner is the same basic guitar, but has the Murphy Lab light aging, so it simulates a 1942 Banner that has been used but well cared for for the past 80+ years. 

Gibson Custom Banner J-45: 

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/p/Acoustic-Guitar/ACCFN1635/Vintage-Sunburst

Murphy Lab Banner J-45:

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/p/Acoustic-Guitar/1942-Banner-J-45-Vintage-Sunburst-Light-Aged/Vintage-Sunburst-Light-Aged

Re the necks. I have an original 1910 baseball neck and I have no problem with it over my modern gibson necks. It is very comfortable to play, and I have smaller hands.  Maybe takes just a couple seconds to adjust if I’m switching back and forth.  

On 5/6/2024 at 9:26 AM, PrairieDog said:

Re the necks. I have an original 1910 baseball neck and I have no problem with it over my modern gibson necks. It is very comfortable to play, and I have smaller hands.  Maybe takes just a couple seconds to adjust if I’m switching back and forth.  

The neck on my 1942 J50 is a very sweet round shoulder C carve clocking in at something just over 1.0" at the 1st fret with a 1.745" nut.