Gibson Brands Forums

CF-100e vs J-45

Haiey

Hi,

I have been checking out a new J-45, the mahogany one, at my local guitar shop, I love it, it sounds and plays fantastic but I like the look of the new CF-100e (I really want the cutaway) although I can't get to play one without ordering one in to buy. I am worried that if i order the CF-100e without playing it I might not like it as much as the J-45.

My question is - will the sound and feel of the Cf100e be as nice as the J-45?

your worries are well founded. these are two completely different animals in every respect. the cf100 is a small bodied guitar that is totally different in tone, feel and especially dollars (darn near twice as much). IMHO, you'll get more bang for the buck with a j45. i have owned both and i still have a j45.

strictly an issue of tone and volume. i play pretty much exclusively acoustic. the guitar was just too quiet for me and the tone too thin. i was prompted to buy an amp to try to beef up the sound along with other fixes like saddle and nut change outs as well as different string gauges. never got it to where i was happy. try getting your hands on an LG1 or a B25 and compare them to the J45. the differences will be similar and stark.

yes, that's pretty much it. very midrange-y (is that a word?). that one in the video appears to be an older one whereas mine was a brand new reissue, so the wood had not opened up. having the cf100e for awhile served to help me define my preference for a guitar with more going on in the low end. it was an expensive lesson but i was able to parlay the sale of the cf into the funds needed to buy my roy smeck, the sound of which epitomizes what i was looking for in an acoustic. but hey, that's half the fun of owning and playing nice guitars. the swapping, the selling and the search for something better. right? you don't know unless you try and eventually you find those keepers! have fun!

Archived