Gibson Brands Forums

Anybody put a batwing pickguard on their Keb Mo 3.0? Pictures?

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 7:01 AM, LILLISJIM said:

I just bought a Keb Mo 3.0. I love it but want a batwing pickguard.  I bought a brown tortoise one but it looks too bright to me. I may have to go the Holter route.

Congrats on the Keb-Mo.  Terrific guitar! But didn’t you pay like $2k over a regular 12 fret for the Keb-Mo design?  The non-PG is part of that.  I know it’s not all about what might happen in the future, but dang, those are well on their way to being collectors already.  I’d be leery of doing any irreversible change like that effects your chance to move it one if the time came. At resale most folks are gonna be looking for the stock package. 

It’s not like tuners or a nut that you can save and put back on when the time comes.  With a bat wing you will never be able to remove it because the finish will age in the batwing shape.  Then you gotta hope you find the buyer that shares your choice.  

Unless I know I was gonna die with it, and I had no heirs, if it were me, I’d just say, if that’s the design Keb-Mo wanted…😁

Edited by PrairieDog

You want a pickguard for looks or protection?  I couldn't own a guitar without a pickguard as I'm a pretty aggressive strummer. My concern here would be that the soundhole is placed differently on the Keb Mo  because it's a 12 fret so would the batwing work?

The 12 fretters -

Smeck versions jumbo deep bodies - Jackson Browne (Walnut), Stage Deluxe Rosewood, Stage Deluxe Mahogany

The L00's are a deep body Nick Lucas Mystic Rosewood and a M2M rosewood with an aged top.

• Like 1