Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird G vs E

Wakefire

Yeah, I was looking around my local guitar center the other day and happened upon the Gibson Hummingbird. I played it for about 10 minutes or so, and truly enjoyed it. I then looked at the price tag and frankly, that's the only thing I didn't enjoy. Now, I'm not saying it isn't worth it, I'm just saying my wallet can't take that kind of a hit right now (preparing for college).

Now to get to my actual question, I was wondering as to the difference in quality between the Epiphone and the Gibson. I didn't actually get to play the Epi when I was up there. I saw a few reviews on GC's website-which were all pointing towards high quality on the Epiphone-but have learned not to trust them. I just want to know, is the Epiphone worth the 300 dollars or so?

Epi acoustics are good (the EL-00 is excellent, in fact) and I have enjoyed the Epi Hummingbirds and Doves that I've played.

They have a solid top, which is advantageous, although the back and sides are laminated.

For the money, they are a very good buy, but don't expect an Epi to be as nice as the Gibson you played. They look very similar, though-my fiancée has seen me onstage with my Gibson Hummingbird hundreds of times, but when I was noodling on an Epi 'bird in a guitar shop recently, she professed that she was unable to tell the difference.

Jinder sums it up pretty well, but I question his fiance's hearing.

The Epiphone versions are good guitars for 300 bucks or so. Might be worth getting until you save the money for the Gibson. I actually wish a had one of the Black Epi Birds just to take everywhere with me.

I have an Epi Hummer. I say get one! With a good set-up (mine has a bone nut and Tusq saddle now) and some good strings you'll have a nice looking guitar that you can get a lot from whilst saving for the real deal. I gig quite a bit with mine and I'm more than happy with the sound and the fact that I don't have to worry about some idiot spilling beer on it (although I do worry a bit!) or bashing it around in the back of my car.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Archived