Gibson Brands Forums

Best Way to Sell an Expensive Vintage Guitar?

Hey folks,

I've got a real gem of a vintage guitar I'm thinking of parting with. Any advice on the best way to go about it?

Anyone here sold a high-end vintage Gibson lately? Curious about your experience.

Thinking of listing my '59 Les Paul. What's the consensus on selling through local shops vs. online platforms?

Hey! Listing a '59 Les Paul is no small task. Both local shops and online platforms have their perks. As a collaborator at Joe's Vintage Guitars, I can tell  you that local shops can offer a personal touch and immediate payment, but their audience is limited. Online shop platforms even specialized forums can reach a global audience, which often results in higher offers. Just ensure you're prepared for detailed communication with potential buyers and secure, insured shipping. Each method has its own set of challenges, so consider what suits your situation best.

The market for high end expensive guitars is very limited. Dealers will buy it while keeping a good margin of profit, but that's business.

You could contact the dealers such as Gary's Classic Guitars and see what he offers. I've contacted him before and he's a real nice honest person. Vintage Guitars, Electric & Acoustic – Gary’s Classic Guitars (garysguitars.com)

Another good one is John Shults at True Vintage Guitar. He's a member here. Another real nice honest guy. https://forum.gibson.com/profile/15135-tvguit/

True Vintage Guitar | Vintage Guitar Buyer Dealer

I've tried to sell a high-end Martin but it got to be such a hassle. Most buyers are leery unless they are dealing with a reputable brick and mortar store. I wound up consigning it to Elderly's Music for a 25% commission fee.

I always try eBay first. It doesn't cost anything until you sell it, and it will only cost about 7%. Reverb used to be good but not since they sold out. Too many fees and little shipping cost break.