Gibson Brands Forums

Neck Replaced on this Sonex? Buyer Beware?

rocketman

Check this out. I've seen a lot of Sonex guitars and I've never seen one with that color neck. If you go here, you'll see a bunch more with a red neck that matches the red body. Everything else looks fine to me though (the case is correct too). But I strongly suspect that the neck has been replaced (outside of the wrong color, there are some other signs too). I guess this begs a question. Should one list every mod done to a guitar or do you think it's buyer beware?

The neck might have been stripped' date=' not replaced.

Some people remove most of the finish on necks because they are used to Fenders and other guitars with a thinner finish on the neck.[/quote']

Hmm, didn't think of that. Thanks. It's a Deluxe for sure because it doesn't have a coil tap. The Deluxe came with a one piece hardwood construction neck. I don't think it can be used for any other type of guitar though (the Sonex had a pretty unique neck). Something certainly was done to it. Look at the crack lines on the body from the neck joint.

OK, let's say it was stripped and/or possibly fixed due to a crack or something. Is that something one should state when selling it?

Hmm' date=' didn't think of that. Thanks. It's a Deluxe for sure because it doesn't have a coil tap. The Deluxe came with a one piece hardwood construction neck. I don't think it can be used for any other type of guitar though (the Sonex had a pretty unique neck). Something certainly was done to it. Look at the crack lines on the body from the neck joint.

OK, let's say it was stripped and/or possibly fixed due to a crack or something. Is that something one should state when selling it?[/quote']

Just giving the guy the benefit of the doubt. He does not seem like the original owner by the description he offers. The previous owner may have stripped the neck. Most people would never know the difference.

Archived