Gibson Brands Forums

Help on LP Jr.

steve1951

I have just found and bought for 100 bucks a cherry colored SG Jr. with an odd seriel number that I cannot reference online. The number is Q11 845 on the back of the head stock. Stamped in ink. Black ink.

This guitar has two pickups instead of the one. I am at a loss to find any info on this guitar, like the year made, etc.

The strings go "over" the bridge. I put a set of strings on this SG Jr, adjusted the bridge and she plays very well. The neck is is great shape.

Any info from your guys would be much appreciated. Thanks. Steve

Your best bet would be to call Gibson at 1-800-4-GIBSON, or send them an e-mail at service@gibson.com as they should be able to tell you something about the guitar and confirm if it is an original Gibson. I do not recall Gibson ever using a serial number like that, however Epiphones do use a letter in their numbers to designate which plant it was made at. I do not know anything more about Epiphone serial numbers. If the guitar was part of a special run for a store, or a signature model of some sort, they will sometimes use a letter in the serial number. Only Gibson will be able to help confirm what you actually have. Let us know how you make out.

Archived