Gibson Brands Forums

Capo Preference

anthonyc007

Sprung for the price-y G7th only to realize I like my Shubb way better.

Anthony, did you buy your G7th recently? I bought one when they first came out and had a problem keeping it tight on the strings. They've recently changed the design because others were having the same problem. The new design seems to work better.

Anthony' date=' did you buy your G7th recently? I bought one when they first came out and had a problem keeping it tight on the strings. They've recently changed the design because others were having the same problem. The new design seems to work better. [/quote']

Hmmm...about 12-18 months ago. In that range. I had the same problem: not tight enough on the strings. Especially for the 12-string.

I use a Dunlop Victor Johnny Cash signature capo.

It's cast brass to help sustain, is light and is tightened with a wee worm screw...it's by far the best capo I've ever owned, and is brilliant as you can tighten it just enough to eliminate buzz but without compromising intonation/tuning.

Everyone I've used it with in the studio and live simply loves the darned thing, it's fantastic.

I've done somewhere near 500 live shows with it too, and it has held up like a true classic.

I used to play with a capo all the time and the Shubb was the first capo I owned that performed well without bending the strings out of tune and held firm in all sorts of playing. The original design had a screw that actually wore a groove into the back of the clamp, then they went to the black teflon tip on the screw and they last a lifetime now.

I have tried or owned everything else on the list - the Shubb will always be my fave. I also like the fact that it adjusts quickly for different necks.

Archived