Gibson Brands Forums

what is the MAJOR difference between a nick lucas elite and reissue

eeh1

The specs have been somewhat variable for the elites. Some had ebony fingerboards, some didn't. A number of details appear to have varied. I have one which is labeled Historic Collection Nick Lucas Elite, but it does not have a lot of abalone or the ebony bridge and fingerboard. Possibly the wood was upgraded, though the back is not particularly flamey. I think it does have different tuners than were standard.

It is probably mostly in the appointments. The Elite is a very upscale looking instrument. With that you may have some "preferred stock" wood choices too. The regular NL's seemed to have come in different wood combos and fret numbers, but were relatively plain.

I am wrestling on what to do with my NL Elite. I L-O-V-E that guitar. It has developed a dry, woody, bell like tone that is quite unique. (a bit like Maybelle Carter or Dylan's first record) It shines when recorded or in a small room. I didn't have anything quite like it in my collection until recently.

In my brand new EC Century of Progress I can hear similar potential (with age and playing). Like the NLE it excels when flatpicked and in more intimate surroundings. This is my dilemma. Can/Should I keep two similar, tricked out, small-bodied maple gibsons? They aren't as versatile or utilitarian as a hog dread or a maple jumbo. But they may be different enough from each other to justify it. I just can't decide. I've been feeling like a total guitar pig lately. I've been on an uncontrolable feeding frenzy since the vintage market softened up. It's bad and it needs to stop. I'm running out of room.

What are the Elite's in excellent condition going for these days? I haven't been paying attention. Maybe that would help me decide whether or not to part with it. If they are selling for less than I'd buy it for if I saw it used then I wouldn't bother.

Supposedly they use wood upgrades----which I assume are visual-----and of course, all the bling. The blond one pictured in my avatar space, is much more lightly built than the sunburst one I got rid of, and has much more nuance to the tone. By that I mean to say that it's not just a nasally, quirky, boxy blues machine----it's got some refinement and some dimensionality, if you want to use it. A friend of mine has an $8000 Borges recreation of a Nick Lucas, and you literally can't tell them apart, in a blindfold test. To be frank and blunt, I had not been overly impressed by any of the perhaps a dozen Nicks I'd tried (or the one I owned), prior to getting this particular Elite.

In my brand new EC Century of Progress I can hear similar potential (with age and playing). Like the NLE it excels when flatpicked and in more intimate surroundings. This is my dilemma. Can/Should I keep two similar, tricked out, small-bodied maple gibsons?.

Absolutely not....you should send me the Elvis C model, and I'll suffer all the angst for you. It's a win/win situation....I get an Adirondack topped Century, and you won't become apoplectic over your shameless materialism....;o))

Hey Modac,

I feel better already.

I put the two next to eachother last night. Next time I'll take a picture. It really was sight to behold. Two beautiful sisters. I realized that the NLE has abalone bling. The EC COP is all decked out in mother of pearl. That might be difference enough to ease my gluttonous shame.

The soul searching continues.

Eeh1,

I got your PM. You will be the first to know if I go down that road.

Archived