Gibson Brands Forums

Kayaks, anyone?

tuckomf

I realize this might seem like it's better suited for one of the many great kayak forums on the internet, but I'm looking for a kayak for my wife. She's about 5'5", 120 lbs, and she wants to start kayaking with me. I'd ask other kayakers, but let's face it - you guys are all cooler, and I find that kayakers tend to pimp whatever they use as being the best. We'll be doing mostly recreational paddling, maybe the occasional class II or III. Anyone have anything they'd recommend?

I realize this might seem like it's better suited for one of the many great kayak forums on the internet' date=' but I'm looking for a kayak for my wife. She's about 5'5", 120 lbs, and she wants to start kayaking with me. I'd ask other kayakers, but let's face it - you guys are all cooler, and I find that kayakers tend to pimp whatever they use as being the best. We'll be doing mostly recreational paddling, maybe the occasional class II or III. Anyone have anything they'd recommend? [/quote']

I have a perception sparky which is awsome for that.Not sure if they are still making that model,but maybe used one could be found.I live right by a river

Wow at her size there's probably a ton of great designs out there. i have a Welhonpesä Oy - Bigfoot mostly because I'm 6'4" and 240lbs which kinda limited my choices at least if I wanted them to be above the water. I really like the Welho good feel in a cruiser that handles like a performance model that works for somebody my size.

Good luck I love Kayaks almost as much as surfing and would love to get my wife involved also but she's not big on water and pretty much hates being wet or cold. when you pick something out let us know I'd love to here what you find.

I'm looking at a couple Perception boats, and the one that I think I'm going to go with is the Perception Swifty. It's only a 9.5', so I think it will be easier for her to handle. It has a pretty open cockpit, too, which I think she'll be more comfortable with for starting out. That, and I think I'll be able to add some outriggers and trampolines so she can lay out if she wants to. Kayaks are a close second to guitars on my "favorite things to modify" list.

It's kind of funny - I love surfing almost as much as kayaks - mainly because I'm able to kayak all over the place, but there are only a few surfable breaks on the Great Lakes - unless you feel particularly psychotic and have someone tow you in ahead of a storm. I have 10.5 and 12 foot single-fin longboards that double as paddleboards when it's dead, and they can catch just about anything here.

Archived