Gibson Brands Forums

Differences between a 57 les paul and 59 LP

FretlessWonder

Neckwidths - yes. They're all finished by hand, though...so, they may be close.

They're all called historic reissues.

Historic Customs have mahogany tops. Historic Standards have maple tops.

Some years have single coil P-90s - '52, '54, '54). The rest have humbuckers - Burstbuckers 1 & 2.

Other than that, they're all the same. Just different finishes, neck sizes & weight.

Reissues of the '59 & '60 Standard are more expensive because they have a flame top and might be lighter.

If you've played a'58 reissue, you've also payed a '59 reissue...just with a different sized neck.

What about the neck widths. My 57RI has a real thick neck, its hard to wrap your thumb around it for that hendrix grip.

And your saying that my 57 has the same pickups as the 59? really, so the only reason i would buy the 59 would be for the flame top and a little lighter body?

I think ill just stick to what I got

Yeah, that's it. They're all the same.

You own a '57 Black Beauty, right...not a gold top?

I've played a few of those Customs and the necks were roughly the same size as a '59.

A little fatter, IIRC, but in the same ball park. Neck sizes do vary since they're finished by hand.

Try playing a '56 gold top. Those have fat necks. Tree trunks...

i have the black beauty 57 RI two pickups. how do you feel about nicks and dents and scratches on your own personal guitar. my old man bought me this guitar when i was 15 and just barely playing (i know that is sacreligous to say) but ive been playing for over 16 years now and have the lfie experience and chops to really appreciate what a gift my father gave me considering he was just a city worker. but as a 16 year old i made amature mistakes like accidentally dropping it and it has some scratches on the back from belt buckle, finish wear on the bottom of the guitar from the guitar stand. they are all generally minor and unnoticeable really but like every good guitarist, i knwo my guitars body like the back of my hand. to me, these are my own personal dents so i accept them, instead of being anal.

Nothing wrong with being a city worker.

I used to be one and a lot of them make some pretty good coin.

My old director made $3,000/week.

My mistake, I should have asked what year it is. If your guitar is 16 years old it will be a bit different than the newer reissues. The pickups will definitetly not be the same as Burstbuckers only came out a few years ago and the neck sizes I am referring to are also for the newer reissues. Generally speaking, your guitar is the same. By that, I mean it should be solid with long neck tenon. Have a look at this year-by-year account of the changes made to historic reissues. http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=273

Mine are all basically brand new and not a scratch on them. My Tele has some chips and a small crack but it's close to 10 years old. That's about it.

Archived