Gibson Brands Forums

Hey....for those of you wanting to ship "vintage" guitars with Fedex and others.....

onewilyfool

Where did you get this info? Is in on the FedEx website? Did they put it somewhere in writing? Can you link to it or give a name and number or email to a FedEx employee who can substantiate it?

Not trying to pick a fight here, as I would never ship a guitar via FedEx or have one shipped to me via them and so don't care personally, but unsubstantiated claims like this are unhelpful to those who might.

Where did you get this info? Is in on the FedEx website? Did they put it somewhere in writing? Can you link to it or give a name and number or email to a FedEx employee who can substantiate it?

Not trying to pick a fight here' date=' as I would never ship a guitar via FedEx or have one shipped to me via them and so don't care personally, but unsubstantiated claims like this are unhelpful to those who might.[/quote']

Actually Fed X Ground is the absolute!! best carrier of any acoustic guitar shipping! I have shipped 50 through them and never I mean never had a problem! They are gentler with actual "Fragile" Marked packages than anyone out there! The absolute worst is UPS ! They think its fun to bounce fragile packages! I know this from very very close personnel experiences! so there you go!

BTW Jayla how many guitars have you shipped or received?

suburude

BTW Jayla how many guitars have you shipped or received?

None personally, as I mentioned. Though your experience is heartening, frankly, I just don't trust shippers and airline baggage people with fragile or expensive items. I've had too many other things lost, sent to the wrong address, held up excessively in customs, broken, etc., to take a chance shipping or receiving an instrument shipped directly to me.

I only use Fed X. I know some folks have reported issues but in 30+ transactions I've been OK always. I have not been as fortunate with UPS.

No matter who you use, it is well to know that they handle packages with efficiency in mind, not delicacy, so it is wise to reinforce ends, support the headstock, and ensure that the instrument has no room to whip around inside the case in the event of a fall or drop. If I were sending a valuable instrument I would double box as well and pad with foam sheets, blocks, and bubble wrap. Assume they are going to throw your package.

None personally' date=' as I mentioned. Though your experience is heartening, frankly, I just don't trust shippers and airline baggage people with fragile or expensive items. I've had too many other things lost, sent to the wrong address, held up excessively in customs, broken, etc., to take a chance shipping or receiving an instrument shipped directly to me.[/quote']

I just don't trust shippers

Jayla how if you never have shipped a guitar make a statement like this?? What do you base your theory on ??? Hearsay? or what ? Fed X has lost items of yours ???

Jayla how if you never have shipped a guitar make a statement like this?? What do you base your theory on ??? Hearsay? or what ? Fed X has lost items of yours ???

Suburude, I explained why in my post. Let me be more explicit: as I mentioned, I've never shipped any guitars but have shipped many other items over the years, and had many shipped to me, both nationally and internationally. I've used UPS, FedEx, and USPS, and have had problems with all of them (I've had problems with the postal services of other countries as well): packages lost, delivered damaged with some items missing, held up inexplicably for months in customs, damaged contents, etc. This has not been the case every time, nor even the majority of times, but it has happened often enough to make me wary about shipping expensive or fragile items if it can be at all avoided.

This is the basis for my above post.

Avoid UPS at all costs. Their "insurance" is a joke. I've had them destroy a pristine Fender Dual Professional amp cabinet. Dealing with them was an extreme exercise in futility. They basically said it was packed insufficiently (it wasn't) and there was essentially no recourse. Don't ship anything of value with UPS. Worst experience with shipping ever. Perhaps FedEx cares and will be more careful. Good luck. Avoid UPS.

In my experience Fed-ex, UPS, and USPS are all equally bad. They all have a deplorable tendency to throw boxes around, regardless of fragile stickers, etc and leave boxes in places that are too dry, too damp, too cold, too hot etc. The main thing is to pack extremely well. There is a good set of packing instructions at frets.com .

Archived