Gibson Brands Forums

R9 with electronic noise? Normal or problem? How to fix?

vulgarium

I get a new R9 (truly new, not used), and it's awesome and bold both in the sound and the look. But there is one thing really annoys me! When I plug it into the amp, there is automatically a kind of electronic noise, even in the clear channel. When I touch the string, bridge or pickup cover, the noise will disappear right away, but if I remove the hand it will show up again immediately. The noise is not very low, but quite noticeable.

All the electronic parts can work, I mean the knobs, the 3-way toggle switch and the pickups. I can hear the noise from all the 3 positions of the toggle switch, almost the same noise in all positions. The noise is most obvious when all the 4 knobs are set at 10. If I turn down the knobs, I mean anyone of the 4 knobs, despite of it's a tone or volumn as well as which position the switch is set, the noise will gradually get lower, until "almost" disappear when setting any knob at 0.

I didn't expect such an expensive guitar can be like this... I contacted the dealer and they said it's normal to have such kind of hum.

I'm not good at electronic things at all, and I cannot find a good repairman around. Can anyone help me on this? Is this a problem or it's normal as what the dealer said? If it's a problem, how can this happen? How should I examine and fix it? Any advise? Thanks a lot!

Archived