Gibson Brands Forums

Looks first or sound...what attracts you to a guitar

dodgytoo

I wont buy a dog of a guitar sound wise but initially I am a sucker for a hot looking guitar...

That is why I am hankering for a ES 175 next,

I love the old world look of hollow and semi hollow guitars.

I am addicted to the craftsmanship and amazing woods

So what attracts you guys/girls to initially pick up a new axe in a store.

What separates it from the hundreds on the wall?????

For me at least it's a two stage process (which I think is what you were getting). Obviously the big thing is that it has to 'play' right (again this might be a me thing but p/ups can be swapped, paint can be stripped, but if it doesn't feel right in my hands I want no part of it). But as you say, faced with that wall of guitars, and even constrained by budget, its the pretties that you ask the store worker to pull down.

Me, I'm a sucker for natural wood grain. My ES 335 (*coughs* copy) is just that: no paint, no burst, just a lovely blond wood and a gloss finish. Silver hardware, including p/up covers is another preference of mine. I think the love of the natural wood might have come in part from my first guitar teacher who played a 1962 Strat. with no finish. He said it was originally black but when I saw it it was just bare wood, no pick guard, knobs with no markings (through extended use, not by design) and the *** burns and dings and beer stains of a thousand pub gigs. One of the prettiest guitars I've ever seen, and it played like an absolute dream.

My dream axe would be a custom Les Paul with a cherry burst, and my next purchase will probably be a natural finish Tele (sorry, I know what site this is but I just really want those bright single coils as a balance to the growl of my current buckers).

Sorry if I wandered off topic there. Great thread.

I would add feel to the 'look and sound'. That moment when you first play it - does it feel good? If the action is bad or the guitar just doesn't feel like you're home then I would put it down and look at something else.

When looking to my guitars you would say it's primarly 'the look' that counts, but this is just half of the truth. Since my music interest is very wide, I'm searching for the ultimate rock guitar to rock 'n' roll, and the hollow body to play the jazzy stuff. If I had the money, I would love to buy an acoustic manouche jazz guitar to play the Django licks, but this is more a dream than a futur project. So, the guitar needs to look good, feel good when playing, should have the right pick-ups for the sound you're searching...and I could continue like that...

To conclude: guitar=look+sound+feeling(s)

DSC01066-4.jpg

DSC00926-2.jpg

DSC00922-1.jpg

DSC00916-1.jpg

DSC00908.jpg

GibsonES175SteveHowesignature011.jpg

DSC01079.jpg

DSC01082.jpg

The first thing that attracts me to a guitar is a combination of it's tone and who is playing it.

My current favorite guitar is my Larry Carlton Signature ES-335. Larry Carlton is my favorite guitarist and that's partially why I bought the guitar. I love playing along with DVD videos I have of him in concert. I love his tone and his ability is second to none IMO.

Archived