Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Gibson 12 string Archtop Acoustic/electric

getfiddler

Hello all,

I inherited a Gibson Archtop Acoustic 12 string guitar. I am trying to find out more information about it. There are no serial numbers or stamps on or in the guitar. I have looked and looked online to find another one like it and have had no success. The story passed down by my family is that the guitar was possible a one of a kind that never made it into production or only a very few were made. Any help identifying the year it was made and the model number and the current value would be greatly appreciated. I sent Gibson pictures they have not responded back to me and that was a month ago. I will include pictures at this site http://s690.photobucket.com/albums/vv264/getfiddler/

Thank you very much

Brian

Hi Brian,

Welcome.

That is a semi-acoustic archtop.

I doubt if it is a Gibson.

The headstock appears to be the wrong shape and I have never seen an outline Gibson logo.

The body shape does not look like any Gibson. The tailpiece looks a bit like that on a Byrdland but is not the same.

RN

I'm sorry man, this is not a Gibson. No, the tailpiece is not similar to a Byrdland, the headstock AND logo are all wrong. If it's a nice player, enjoy it, but you'll never pass it off as a Gibson.

Ya i figured as much the more research i did the more i think it is a japanese copy. Well made but a copy.

It plays well and stays in tune and it was a gift from the family so i am not out any cash.

Any idea of the price range? i am considering selling it for a 6 string something i play a lot more of.

Thank you all for your input nice to have a place to ask these kinds of questions.

Brian

Archived