Gibson Brands Forums

Tone Ring for Banjo?

Banjo Picker

Don't have a definite answer' date=' but if there's no response here -- try www.banjohangout.org/forum/.

I've always gotten answers to my questions there.

Good luck.[/quote']

I don't know the answer to your question but I was just wondering if you have heard of Otis Taylor? I met him last week. He opened for Gary Moore which was a great concert... I bought Otis's CD "Recapturing The Banjo" If you like banjos I think you will like this....

Here is a pic I took of Otis jamming with Gary on harmonica during the encore...

DSC02945.jpg

Changing tone rigs often means having the rim turned on a lathe to accomodate the new tone ring. Sometimes tone rings can be swapped out one-for-one if the replacement is just an upgrade based on the same design, like some boutique fancy pants alloy blend or something.

It's your business and I ain't gonna tell you what you should do, but there are many other methods of boosting tone and output. Experimenting with different bridges, tailpieces, heads, head tension..... all are contributing factors and are much less intrusive (and expensive!) as swapping out a tone ring.

Archived