Gibson Brands Forums

altering wiring

Andre S

if i want the neck tone pot to be a master tone pot, do i remove the capacitor from the bridge volume pickup to the bridge tone and solder it from the bridge volume pot to the neck tone pot so that 2 capacitors one from each volume pot go to the neck tone pot?

this is to use the bridge tone pot as a volume pot for a fishman power bridge hex.

Not an elegant solution. I would disconnect the caps between the two volume and tone pots and use just one tied to the middle lug of the now master tone and ground ( the back of the tone pot will do fine). The middle lugs of the volume pots go to their respective 3-way switch contacts. By placing the caps in parallel as you were suggesting, you would effectively be stacking the cap values. In other words, two 47mf caps in parallel would in amount to one 94mf cap. Thus, you would in increase the bass response at 0, while decreasing the treble response by a factor of 2. =D>

Not an elegant solution. I would disconnect the caps between the two volume and tone pots and use just one tied to the middle lug of the now master tone and ground ( the back of the tone pot will do fine). The middle lugs of the volume pots go to their respective 3-way switch contacts. By placing the caps in parallel as you were suggesting' date=' you would effectively be stacking the cap values. In other words, two 47mf caps in parallel would in amount to one 94mf cap. Thus, you would in increase the bass response at 0, while decreasing the treble response by a factor of 2. :-k [/quote']

wow thats complicated. okay what if i wanted to switch the bridge tone pot with a push pull, do i connect the cap to the same lug as it is now?

If you are simply changing the bridge tone pot for a push/pull pot to create a coil tap, then you could leave the original wiring the same with only one difference. You'd have to tie the north/south finish together (red/white for SD, green/white for Gibson) and attach that to the two center lugs of the push/pull pot. The two bottom lugs of the push/pull pot is tied to ground (the back of the pot). One thing to keep in mind is that some prefer not to have caps at all. They are there to "roll off" the highs.

Archived