Gibson Brands Forums

Michael Penn appreciation

Rosewoody

Does anyone else like Michael Penn? He reminds me of Richard Thompson in that he writes great songs but gets little mainstream play. He is an above average strummer with great "pop sensibilities," as they say. Hooks, vocals, arrangements, he is a classy singer-songwriter.

I loved the song "No Myth," but the brotha can't write.

"What if I was Romeo in black jeans? What if I was Heathcliff it's no myth?"

and later on

"Sometime from now you'll bow to pressure

some things in life you cannot measure by degrees

I'm between the poles and the equator

don't send no private investigator to find me please

'less he speaks Chinese

and can dance like Astaire overseas, OK"

The song is catchy, but let's just say that Dylan probably wasn't looking over his shoulder when this came out...

"No Myth" was actually his mainstream hit. Or his only hit, right? I have to confess that I don't bother with lyrics, most of Dylan's stuff is obscure to me, and even Britney is over my head, but I do like his musical style--somewhat Beatley, and I think at least on his first release, he plays all the instruments (might be wrong on that).

"No Myth" was actually his mainstream hit. Or his only hit' date=' right? I have to confess that I don't bother with lyrics, most of Dylan's stuff is obscure to me, and even Britney is over my head, but I do like his musical style--somewhat Beatley, and I think at least on his first release, he plays all the instruments (might be wrong on that).

besides no myth i guess there was one more which was quite popular... cant remeber the name right now! but yes one more is definitely there!

Archived