Gibson Brands Forums

R9 POTS???

nosbig

Hi,

Does any know the correct pots that are fitted to? a les paul R9

I bought this new in `03 and last night the tone pot on the bridge pick up stopped working.

When I removed the backplate god,the soldering was awful!!!

I decided to replace the pots with CTS and when I removed the old ones I found the knobs were held on with *** paper and two of them were cheapo mexican,one japan and the other I dont know!!

I have used the shop were I bought it for over 15 yrs and I know they wouldnt do anything like that so just how did this happen on a £3500 guitar??

Terry

It didn't. An R9 from 03 would have had bumble bee caps and CTS pots in it already. You either bought a used guitar that someone modded, a fake, or someone fed you a line and you don't really have an R9. But I guarantee you it did not leave the Custom Shop like that. Sorry. Your best bet would be to call Gibson and give them the serial number and ask them to confirm it. You could also send an e-mail to them and ask. A number that starts with 9 3XXX could also be from 93, and it would probably have had stock Gibson caps and electronics, but not what you say are there now. It would also give time for someone else to mod it. The number is 1-800-4-GIBSON, I am not sure what you will have to dial from the UK, the e-mail is service@gibson.com There used to be a place on the site that listed toll free numbers for Gibson Europe and they can also confirm what the guitar is.

It didn't. An R9 from 03 would have had bumble bee caps and CTS pots in it already. You either bought a used guitar that someone modded' date=' a fake, or someone fed you a line and you don't really have an R9. But I guarantee you it did not leave the Custom Shop like that. Sorry. Your best bet would be to call Gibson and give them the serial number and ask them to confirm it. You could also send an e-mail to them and ask. A number that starts with 9 3XXX could also be from 93, and it would probably have had stock Gibson caps and electronics, but not what you say are there now. It would also give time for someone else to mod it. The number is 1-800-4-GIBSON, I am not sure what you will have to dial from the UK, the e-mail is service@gibson.com There used to be a place on the site that listed toll free numbers for Gibson Europe and they can also confirm what the guitar is. [/quote']

Hi Raptor,

Thanks for the reply.

This guitar was bought new From a shop that I have used for over twenty years.

It an R9 no doubt,its got the correct tenon,pups etc etc,with the certificate.

I really dont think a shop as established as this one is (one of Gibson`s biggest outlets) would sell a fake?

I have contacted the shop and they are chasing the distributers who are e mailing Gibson on my behalf.

Meanwhile I`ve contacted Gibson too,waste of time!!!

Going back on the pots,two were retro CTS and two were cheapos,I have an idea what happen to this guitar but I cant say until I prove it.

...you can say here... so what do you think happened to her? (though it may end being just an "it"!)

Nope, cant say yet but will let you know when its resolved.

By the way it is a genuine R9 no doubt I`m a guitar tech for 20+ yrs and I know the real deal when I see it!!

Lets put it this way,it left Gibson perfect and got to the shop "tampered with" work it out eh?

Cheers,

Terry

will do' date='thanks.

ps those lesters look COOL!!![/quote']

the one to the right is an overly modded epi special (first run, from like, 15 years ago or so).

the one to the left is my most loved guitar ever, a les paul standard faded... i just love the feel of the faded 50s neck.

Nosbig, the other possibility is the shop ripped them out to fix someone else's guitar and never got replacement parts. But, it did not come from the Custom Shop like that. Or, they may have thought that they would sell it to some dumb smuck who would never think to check it out.

Archived