Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Triumph Bass

boogyman73

I have a Triumph Bass, solid mahogony body and some strong shoulders....The serial number is 892012A...I think it was made in 1975. But the biggest issue is the so called "in-line transformer" that come with the bass. It has since been damaged and I need to know if there are any mods that can be done to the bass electronics to get the sound it got with the original transformer. It is almost like going from an "active" sound to a "passive" sound using a reguler guitar cord. I have bought several so called transformers from electronics stores but with no affect. Any info would be appreciated......Boogy On!!!!! I just looked at the serial number chart and this bass was made in 1967, the best I can tell.

Sorry, I can't help with your tranformer question, but I did want to clear up your misinformation on the age of your bass. It was not made in 1967, Triumph basses were not made until much later. Your bass was made in 1974 or early '75.

Thanks. I am not sure, but the features aren't that of post-1971 Les Paul Basses. It doesn't have the HI-LOW impedance switch, only the phase IN or OUT. It also doesn't have the input jack on the control face plate. The face plate is smaller than the post-1971 basses. There are several Gibson serial number references online, but they conflict on the late 60's and early 70's instrument serial numbers. It is consistant with 1969 or 1970, after more research. I bought the bass in 1974 used for $300.00. The owner said he had the bass for about 2 years, from an individual who bought it for his son to play. So it had to be about 3 years old when I got it. It is extremely heavy and has a very mid-level growl to clear and bright. The low freqs can be brought out with a pre-amp setup. Information: Shure makes an inline transformer that will work, # A95U. I have played it off and on since. Thanks again. Boogy On!!!!

Archived