Gibson Brands Forums

What guitar is this???

bsmpsu

Hey Everyone,

My dad gave me a guitar that was once his...it is a Gibson acoustic-electric, and my dad got it as a gift about 40 years ago. I can't identify what year it is, model, or what it's value is...

I'd appreciate it if you all could help me...

Here are some pictures...

10z09wp.jpg

xc9c0l.jpg

2vvvxac.jpg

1zv2uxf.jpg

2zohkxd.jpg

Thanks!

By the way....I got the serial number, and some website said it was from 1967 and made at a Kalamazoo plant....

But I saw some information at another website saying it might be older....

I'm looking for the year and model...

My first guess would be:

1940 ES-150 specs:

arched back, rectangular metal-covered adjustable pole pickup near bridge, jack on side, unbound fingerboard. Production halted for WWII in 1942.

As referenced here.

It could also be an ES-100. As referenced here, the 1940 model had the pickup in the bridge position.

That Gibson script logo was used during the production of "war time" guitars.

Might I add:

Welcome to the forums. That is one fine looking instrument. Your dad must have used great caution in it's care.

hmm...out of those 2, like you said, the es-100 would make more sense with the bridge pickup, but I don't know a lot about this stuff...I don't know a lot of the older terms.

And thank you for the welcome...my dad actually only played for about a year, but he always kept it with him....I'm especially glad, because I started playing on my own, and he showed me that thing! haha.....Unfortunately, I've never been able to use it...it needs some work, very dusty, inside and out...when I first started that was the only guitar I had, and I was sick for about 2 whole months....my parents were forced to buy me new equipment :)

Just as it sounds. The pickup is located down toward the bridge, as opposed to up by the neck.

What is confusing me about yours is that it shows a dark brown or black even "bakelite" knobs for the volume and tone controls. That leads me to believe it was possibly made even earlier than 1940.

The knobs look they are original equipment but I can't find those knobs in Gibson's line.

knobs.jpg

Just as it sounds. The pickup is located down toward the bridge' date=' as opposed to up by the neck.

What is confusing me about your is that it shows a dark brown or black even "bakelite" knobs for the volume and tone controls. That leads me to believe it was possibly made even earlier than 1940.

[/quote']

Wow, good eye...I hadn't noticed that...

the picture below of a 1938 ES-150 has dark knobs like that...is the color knob something consistent with all models, the only variant being the year?

You could also send some closer high-res pictures to George Gruhn in Nashville.

If anyone would know the exact model or year of production' date=' my money would be on him.

Either way, it's a true classic and a keeper. I can't get over how good it looks.

[/quote']

Thanks, I'll do that...Do you have an e-mail address for him or something?

Also, thank you, although, it needs to be restored a tad, lots of dust, and stuff like that...I'm almost afraid to touch it myself, let alone a total stranger to clean it up!

Okay...the mystery has basically been solved....

It is a (most likely) 1940 Gibson ES-100...It's kind of unique because the pickup was introduced in 1940, but the knobs were discontinued in 1939, so, 1940 is the best estimate....

The amp is a 1940 Gibson EH-185, 20 watt tube amp.

2h7ozlg.jpg

Thanks to TheLiveSoundGuy, your advice, along with Mr. Gruhn's certainly helped.

Man, how did I miss this thread? That is a great guitar you've got, bsmpsu!

I feel bad that I missed out on all the detective work, too. Half the fun of these guitars is figuring out how to date them based on the cross-dating of the parts. The pre-war, wartime, and post-WWII Gibson plant must have been a mess of parts just lying around because you see the most amazing things pop out of that time period. I never knew that Gibsons at one time had Bakelite knobs, and it is great to see that old pickup. If you have time, post a larger picture of it.

How does it play? Because that's the other, even bigger half of the fun of these guitars. I have been falling in love all over again with my ES-125. That era turned out great guitars. Even these student model-type instruments are built to last and to sound good. Mmmm-mmmm!

Ignatius

Man' date=' how did I miss this thread? That is a great guitar you've got, bsmpsu!

I feel bad that I missed out on all the detective work, too. Half the fun of these guitars is figuring out how to date them based on the cross-dating of the parts. The pre-war, wartime, and post-WWII Gibson plant must have been a mess of parts just lying around because you see the most amazing things pop out of that time period. I never knew that Gibsons at one time had Bakelite knobs, and it is great to see that old pickup. If you have time, post a larger picture of it.

How does it play? Because that's the other, even bigger half of the fun of these guitars. I have been falling in love all over again with my ES-125. That era turned out great guitars. Even these student model-type instruments are built to last and to sound good. Mmmm-mmmm!

Ignatius

[/quote']

haha, thank you...yes, looking back, the detective work was a more fun that I thought it would be...it has me interested in fixing this thing up (as well as some older guitars my friends neglect=p~ ). Well, I don't have the guitar with me at the moment...Unfortunately, I haven't played it in about 3 years (there's so much dust, it makes me ill), but I do remember when I did, the sound was attention-grabbing.

I want to get this thing taken care of, but I'm nervous putting it in someone else's hands. Of course, at the same time, I'm nervous about doing it myself. I wanted to make a thread asking if anyone had experience with Gibson's repair services, and inquire about pricing and quality of work, but I couldn't find the proper forum to post it. I'm also not too crazy about mailing this thing.

I want to get this thing taken care of' date=' but I'm nervous putting it in someone else's hands. Of course, at the same time, I'm nervous about doing it myself. I wanted to make a thread asking if anyone had experience with Gibson's repair services, and inquire about pricing and quality of work, but I couldn't find the proper forum to post it. I'm also not too crazy about mailing this thing.[/quote']

I had the same feeling when my ES-125 needed work last year. The top binding was pullling away so badly in one place that I actually was beginning to be able to push the top into the guitar (the original owner(s) had treated the guitar rather badly).

In any case, I contacted some people about the Gibson repair shop, and I heard that they can take literally six months minimum to get to work on a project they have received because (at least at the time) they were that far backlogged with work. I did a lot more research around the web, and I found out about Joe Vinicow and his work at archtop.com. He is a luthier/dealer who works almost exclusively with vintage archtops (both acoustic and electric). I sent him my guitar (after several initial conversations by email), and I got back a great instrument: he repaired the problems and replaced the worn pickguard and tuners with appropriately aged replacements, done so well that my wife could not tell what was new and what was original. He also did a light touch-up of cosmetic problems, not enough to take away the mojo of the vintage vibe, but enough to make sure the guitar lasts long enough to make it well past the century mark. He also sold me the best guitar case I have ever owned, hands-down: crushed velvet lining, good padding, and a tough unit.

I didn't have him do a complete restoration, and some of our discussion was about how to make the guitar look the way I wanted it to look. I took advantage of some of the ES-150 styling (multilayer pickguard, tulip tuners, etc.) and wanted to keep the used look, but I think he does restore to original specs as well. He also offers very informative help on how to ship a guitar, and his own shipping is exceptionally well packed.

His work isn't cheap, but it is very reasonable for what he does, which is preserve your guitar as well as you would take care of it yourself. I highly recommend him, but by all means, talk to him first, and seek out other people as well. Oh, and for the record, I have no financial connection to Joe: just a very satisfied customer. I first found his name, by the way, in several threads in the old Gibson forum, so I know I'm not the only vintage Gibby owner to work with him.

Ignatius

Thanks morgan' date=' that's it, minus the pickguard.

Ignatius-thanks for the reference, I'll check him out, this thing could use some cosmetic touches for sure.[/quote']

Yeah, glad i could help!

In the description, of the one at vintage guitar, it does say its missing its pickgaurd, so that means yours is probably worth more than the 2,000 if everything else is original.

Its really something you don't see everyday. An 150 with a humbucker.

Morgan

Yeah' date=' glad i could help!

In the description, of the one at vintage guitar, it does say its missing its pickgaurd, so that means yours is probably worth more than the 2,000 if everything else is original.

Its really something you don't see everyday. An 150 with a humbucker.

Morgan[/quote']

I was wondering about that, how much of a difference would it make? Also, I think there are a few things on that guitar that aren't original...the saddle looks pretty new, and the tuners are definitely not the same as mine...I'm not sure what the real difference in price is, but it's just something I noticed, it's definitely the same guitar though.

EDIT: Actually, I just realized they're not the same guitar, mine is a ES-100, that is a ES-150 (the Gibson logo is the give-away), so, the difference in tuners might not be anything to wonder about, although I wouldn't know. Definitely close though.

Hey bsmpsu--

I am fairly sure you are correct that the tuners are not original. I think the tulips were saved for higher-end guitars at the time although I could be mistaken. Still, unless you are a rabid "all-original" collector, I find it much better to have functional tuners over non-functional originals.

Ignatius

Archived