Gibson Brands Forums

Anybody have an XR-1?

57player

I just landed an XR-1 off of the bay, took a punt as buying LP's is somewhat risky unplayed.

BUT, this thing is amazing! Im in love. Its got dirty fingers in it and a coil tap that uses the outer coils.

And a massive bat of a neck, just how i like them.

The thing with splitting humbuckers is because they are using wrong value pots and caps for single coils, they always sound thin and weedy, too bright. So i set one of my boost pedals, an RC booster, with a darker EQ. Dropped the his out and gave the bottom a bit more. Well damn it if it doesnt sound like my strat! Brilliant. I just set my amp up for humbuckers, then use that pedal for the coil tap. This is a brilliant guitar.

Maple neck with volute, and 10 and a half pounds of tone! This is the heaviest guitar i have owned in 3 decades of playing.

Very cool.

Was wondering if anyone here has one? 2000852685486148721rsua9.jpg

57-

Last week, I purchased what I thought was an '82 Studio Custom - maybe a pre-release as the Studio model wasn't officially introduced until 1983. Posted some pics here and learned that it's most likely an '82 LP XR-1.

I'm a real guitar and LP NEWBIE, so can't speak to your experience with its sound. But I really appreciate how beautiful your axe is. BTW - what does the headstock look like?

Image-B4FA9270FBFF11DC.jpg

Image-B4FAA8BEFBFF11DC.jpg

Image-B4FAF878FBFF11DC.jpg

More pics at:

http://homepage.mac.com/pcallaro/PhotoAlbum5.html

Wow man, that sure looks like an XR-1, except for the guard and the headstock. I will drop the ebay link in here for you, best thing, he took great pics.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280206854466

Mine has a large headstock like a custom, and a maple 3 piece neck. Yours has the coil split in the same place tho and the zebra pickups like mine should have. Mine are gibson pat pend pickups tho, im pretty sure its untouched, the solder looks original.

Ive seen your colour before, i like tobacco burst.

Thanks for replying dude :-)

Don

Now that I think about it, I believe the Studio (my first Gibson) I had back in the mid 80's was an XR1, but it didn't have that huge peghead, and the TRC said "Studio". But it did have that painted over binding like that one, and dot inlays. The color was what they were calling "Smoke Burst". Real heavy thing.

Archived