Gibson Brands Forums

J-45/WM-45 saddle spacing

pg60

I just bought a used WM-45 (hasn't arrived yet), and am trying to find the spacing at the saddle on these guys. I know the nut is 1 23/32 but have been googling and can't seem to find the standard spacing at bridge/saddle.

I have been playing an OM with 2 5/16 spacing and wondering how much tighter the WM-45 will be for fingerstyle.

I apologize if this is stupid question but I really have been trying to find this info with no luck.

Thanks!

I'm confused as to what you're asking about exactly??

Welcome to the forum' date=' by the way. [/quote']

Thanks for the welcome!

I am trying to find the width from center of bass E string to center of treble E string at the saddle (or bridge pins). This affects how much room my fingers have between each string to pick.

I think it is 2 3/16 or 2 1/4 inches but am trying to verify.

I am big Jorma fan and have always wanted a J-45. Used WM-45 is a great way too scratch the itch without spending a lot of $.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me :-)

If you're asking for the distance between the two end strings' date=' mine looks to be right at 2 1/8".[/quote']

Yep that's what Im' asking, thanks! 2 1/8 is pretty standard for dred, I was hoping J-45 was a bit wider since the nut is a bit wider. But I'm sure I will be able to adjust :-)

Yep that's what Im' asking' date=' thanks! 2 1/8 is pretty standard for dred, I was hoping J-45 was a bit wider since the nut is a bit wider. But I'm sure I will be able to adjust :-)[/quote']

You could always sand your fingers down a tad bit, if it's a problem. O:)/

PG60 - I am at work so can't measure my J-45. I do think it is a tad narrower spread at the saddle than my OM-35. But if its any help, I go from one to the other no trouble - playing fingerstyle stuff - like Rev Gary Davis, Blind Blake etc. I love the J-45 for these things and have to say the Martin does not get aired so much these days. In fact, having got used to the gibby, the Martin feels really wide and strange for a bit. I have biggish hands too. I am surprised how some folk are super sensitive to these things - just play it, and you soon get used to it!

Roger

Archived